Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bellows Stiffener?

Re: Bellows Stiffener?

Calumet, Cambo, etc) made special bellows supports that clipped onto the monorail and had a cross bar of heavy wire that pushed up against the bottom of the bellows (adjustable as well) for just this purpose. If you are in the field with a field camera, shove a couple of film holders under the bellows to achieve the same solution. With a monorail, a big office binder clip may fit over the rail and give you a base upon which to place a spacer to again hold it up.

Many cameras have also been made with the rings at stages along the sides or top and bottom of the bellows and with matching hooks on the front standard so that the photographer could stretch the bellow tight enough to remove the sag.
    If you plan to do that, I would consider riveting the leather strip holding the rings through one pleat of the bellows rather than using glue. I tried it the glue version and ended up with bad damage when the glue tore loose and removed a significant portion of the top layer of the leather. Find an illustration from the manual for a Kodak 8x10 Master camera (butkus.org) to see how the rings and hooks were set up on that very successful version.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Viagara.

Quote Originally Posted by lenser View Post
    Calumet, Cambo, etc) made special bellows supports that clipped onto the monorail and had a cross bar of heavy wire that pushed up against the bottom of the bellows (adjustable as well) for just this purpose...
    Ebony provides a similar solution for its larger models. This is an image of my wholeplate camera

made before it was shipped, showing the titanium, screw-in U-shaped supplemental bellows support. One can only guess how much that thing cost me! I don't carry the support around and have never used it, for two reasons. First, the leather bellows doesn't sag in most situations. Second, on those occasions when it does, I just shove one of those small items that always seem to be available under it.

In your case, Ari, I suggest takng the same "support with some miscellaneous item" approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Barlow View Post
    +1
    +1
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

A lot of expensive, over-engineered solutions that a string and an office clip can solve. Typical.

Thanks, everyone; Erik's paper binder clip is already up and running, and works like a charm.
    Long-term, I'll try Tim's suggestion and rivet a metal loop to the bellows; I remember my own Kodak Master 8x10 very well, and that was a nice way to deal with the bellows droop.