Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Widest Thing on Three Legs.....

The Widest Thing on Three Legs.....

whoops thought it was
    7 x17
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

Robert White stocks Noblex cameras - try http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/panoramic.htm#LabelNoblex

Tim.....as soon as I saw Moore’s shot of Milford Sound at David’s link I knew that the way the
    panorama ‘sees’ is precisely what I am looking for...I have become very interested in the way
    the landscape resides in the subconscious mind versus the conscious looking mind... the Moore
    shot is very close to those ‘flying’ dreams we all have from time to time.

If anyone ever happens to encounter an available Cirkut camera please let me know..... until
    then I guess I can do sequencing with the 7x11..... is there some kind of formula for panning
    sequences using the angle of view of the lens and the 360 scale on the tripod......or do you just
    eyeball it?

Thank you all so much, I am absolutely blissed at finding out about the existence of these
    cameras!!

Cheers ........Pannieorama

Annie,

I want to echo the earlier comments on the Noblex. It is available in both a 6x12 and 6x17 format. I use the 6x12 extensively and the results are superb. There are many times when only the panoramic view of the Noblex will do what I need. Go to http://www.meetinghouseinn.com/ and look at the picture across the top of the page. This was done with a Noblex 150 F (6x12). I tried with 4x5 first but there was just no way to capture the entire expanse. I had to shoot from inside a doorway, if I had gone back any further I would have gotten the walls of the other room in the shot. The Noblex 'sees' the same ~145 degree view that the hunan eye sees.

Annie

Noblex Canada importer is closer to you than me if you want to find out more...

http://www.whistlerinns.com/noblex/

i think they also commissioned some close up lenses and odments for them
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

In your original question you indicated you wanted a negative for contact printing. I'm sure the modern Noblex, Roundshot, etc. negs can be scanned and enlarged negs made, but I have a feeling this isn't what you want to do. Reading your past posts, I get the idea you are a hands-in-the-developer type person. So you sound like a prime candidate to become a Cirkut photographer. The first big decision to make is if you want 8" high or 10" high prints. #8 Cirkuts tend to sell in the $1500 range, while #10s can go for twice that. Start searching eBay. Be careful of the #10 currently listed there. The description is nearly identical to a #10 that sold last week (search completed auctions). Maybe it is a legit seller who was too lazy to write a different description. I think some of the LF dealers like Lens & Repro and Quality Camera sometimes get Cirkuts. The one thing to avoid is buying a Cirkut that is missing the tripod gearhead. These get seperated from the rest of the Cirkut and are nearly impossible to find by themselves, unless you are really lucky. Missing lens or gears isn't so serious. Gears can be made and most view camera lenses can be fitted to a Cirkut (the exact nodal point of the lens must be found and gears made).

Bliss.......the Cirkut winds up like a clock and can do the full 360!!!

Although the Noblex looks to be a fine camera the negative is very small..... mind you I do have
    friends up Whistler that I could mooch off.... oops!... I mean visit for a few days and do a test
    run with the Noblex. Thanks for the link Tim.

Anyway.... I’m on the prowl for the Cirkut 8..... wish me luck!

hmmmmm.......wonder where one gets the contact printing frames

here's another small link

http://panoramic.net/www/cirkut.htm

I've followed a few on ebay.

some really bad looking ones ahve gone for high prices.

A couple of really nice looking ones with all the gears and fixings have gone for bargain prices... (just when I couldn't afford it....)

You might need to be patient

I really think one of the masters of this kind of photography was Sudek - his panoramics have a sort of cumulative beauty.

Photowarehouse also sells film for 8" and 10" I think

yes, that one for sale looks dodgy

same description with one of the same photos as the one that was sold in Australia on the 3rd...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4701&item=3863559434&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

but some nice detail pix in the original