Thread: Help-Need E6 Processing for 4X10

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Help-Need E6 Processing for 4X10

Hello all,

Now that I've finally got my 4X10 kit together, and have some exposed Velivia ready to have processed, it looks like I might have hit a snag. I can't find a commercial lab to send it off to for processing. My regular labs will do 4X5 and 8X10, but don't have the right holders to do dip and dunk processing on 4X10 film. Does anybody know of any mail order labs that process 4X10? Perhaps Kerry Thalmann has some input on this? Thanks!
    Brian Vuillemenot

I feel that the easiest solution would be to load five of those 4x10's in a Jobo drum (#3006 I believe) with their E6 chemistry and let er rip. Anyone that is doing it commercially would have to have rigged something up to do that odd size in hangers and it may be difficult to find them.

If 4x10 Velvia is going to be more than a test run, the Jobo will be by far the most cost effective and efficient solution for you. Follow the directions and the results are fabulous. The Jobo system was designed for this application - B&W processing was just icing on the cake from their perspective.

Cheers and Good Luck!

You might look for a lab that runs a roller transport e-6 processor. There should be a few around still though most have gone to dip and dunk. Contact Hope and Kreonite they can probably help you. But I think ultimately Michael probably has the best solution.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Brian,

Try PhotoCraft in Portland, OR 503-225-0515. I have used them for my 4x10 E-6 in the past. They use a standard dip and dunk processor, but they have adjustable hangers for odd size film. Last time they did 4x10 for me, they charged exactly 1/2 their normal 8x10 E-6 rate. I haven't used them for 4x10 lately, but hopefully they still offer this service.

Kerry

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

Thanks for the info, guys,

I talked with Photocraft in Portland, and they will do it, though the price is somewhat prohibitive at $7.50 a sheet (actually more than they charge for their 8X10s, which are $6.50 a sheet). It looks like I will probably send it off to them, just to make sure my film holders are light tight. I hadn't wanted to process my own film, since I'd rather put the time and energy into shooting film, but I might have to go that route if I can't find a more reasonable priced lab (I was thinking about $3.00 a sheet). I'm going to make some more calls, and see what I can find out...
    Brian Vuillemenot

Brian,

Yes, the pricing does sound odd. Like I said, it's been a while since I had them do any 4x10 E-6 for me. In the past, they basically charged E-6 by the square inch. So, 4x10 was 2x 4x5 or 0.5x 8x10. Let me know if you find a less expensive lab for 4x10 processing. I was planning on shooting quite a bit of 4x10 color transparency film this spring and summer and sending it to PhotoCraft (as in the past) for processing. At $7.50 a sheet, I may have to look for another lab. Too bad, PhotoCraft picks-up and delivers at my front door. Can't beat that for convenience.

Kerry

I send my 4x5 to www.filmprocessingltd.com but I don't know if they do 4x10. They charge 2.10 for a 4x5.
    chris