Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New film from Begger! BERGGER Pancro 400

Re: New film from Begger! BERGGER Pancro 400

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I agree. If it is not competitive with Ilford, then I won't bother.
    In a similar context I honestly believe that the TMax (2) emulsion is likely the best film that has ever been manufactured in my lifetime. Unfortunately although I know for a fact that Kodak made the financial decision to put the $1 MM into upgrading the film themselves long before the sale to Aleris (when quite honestly TMY was already bloody good). Aleris feels the need to milk the cow of deep pockets of a few "supportive" fortunate ones to use as a business standard as opposed to broader appeal. Even though I could acquiesce to this standard I feel the need to use my pocketbook as the mile marker for reasonable business practices for the long haul and cannot bridge this bid/ask spread irrespective of the temptation when there is a 2X+ difference in price. Economics and the consumer practices have allowed me to find a visual harmonic with Ilford in my work and I have been spending regularly and as easy as it has been it has also been hard. As the economics of the niche sheet film business evolves to the new demographics in play, I hope (and pray) that TMY(2) will come back to earth in price so we can enjoy its superior capabilities. At the end of the day I ask myself a simple fundamental question. Although TMY(2) is the best IMHO, it is 2X+ better than its Ilford comparable? The short answer is no. It took me a long time to arrive at this conclusion, but the facts are what they are.

Ironically, I feel that TMY(2) is so good that Alaris has essentially cut off their nose despite their face in the fact that smaller formats can illicit results comparable to what larger more formats could produce. Why then would anyone pay such a premium in larger formats? Not what I call a sustainable business model.

In a similar context I honestly believe that the TMax (2) emulsion is likely the best film that has ever been manufactured in my lifetime.
    I feel the same. I used to use TMY-2 in 8x10. I loved it. It was becoming my go to film. I just can't afford it now. I'd bet if they boxed it at 25 sheets, at a price close to Ilford, it would sell like hotcakes.

I agree. TMY-2 is outstanding, but I can't afford it.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Drew Wiley

ACROS sheet film has also gone stratospheric, even though the 120 version is a bargain. I can hardly believe that the stash of TMax 8x10 film in my freezer (both speeds) has almost tripled in price since I bought it. I find myself tempted to shoot 4x5 more frequently, rather than sacrifice the tonality of a favorite film. But Kodak color sheet film has also gone to the roof; but they've almost got a monopoly on LF color neg film now. Hard to say what they're marketing strategy is, if any, or if they're just trying to milk the cow while it's still alive. Perhaps the correct base substrates are getting very pricey due to reduced demand. Once the wind
    picks up around here, FP4 is not a wise replacement for TMY, and HP5 doesn't handle high contrast anywhere near as well. But I've got lots of experience with them
    both, and know what to do if push comes to shove.

Maybe with TMY-2 so outrageously priced Ilford will consider making Delta 400 in sheets again.

Now that would be awesome!

They did at first, at least in 4x5; I have an unopened box in my freezer, frozen since purchase though I don't and can't know how well it has kept until and unless I open it and shoot some.

I'll bet it's okay. I have a box of TMY expired in 2000 sitting in a cupboard in my darkroom. I shot a sheet in the backyard and it's fine with a wee bit of fog.

New BW 4x5 Film type released

Looks like there is a new bw film on the block.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum172/...cro-400-a.html

Re: New film from Bergger

Merged with previous thread from February 2015