Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: Whats the verdict on Adobe CC?

Re: Whats the verdict on Adobe CC?

I bought Affinity and must admit that it's an excellent alternative to Photoshop. However, my brain is so aligned with Photoshop that I can't stay away from it. I also rely very heavily on ColorPerfect plugin which does not work with Affinity.

I find that the 9.99 price for Photoshop and Lightroom is very reasonable.

Pali

Just a quick heads-up on an issue I ran into with CC, which may already be known but just in case:

I have a full retail copy of CS6, which is what I use primarily, but I needed to use the new Premiere in CC for a project so I installed CC using a year-long institutional credit. Didn't think much about it till CS6 suddenly let me know that my subscription to CC was coming to an end. Yes, CS6, NOT CC, told me my subscription was ending. So I dismissed the warning because I didn't care and wasn't going to be using CC anymore anyway. Well the deadline passed...and guess what, I was locked out of CS6. Let me reiterate: my old copy of CS6, that I paid for, was locked completely by CC at the end of my subscription.

I did a complete uninstall of CC and it still had me locked out. I used a cleaner tool to completely wipe out CC and it still didn't work. I had to do a complete uninstall of CS6 as well, then go into some system files to completely delete hidden CC files, which was power-user stuff that many would be unable to do, and finally reinstall CS6 from scratch to get it to work again.

I've read this on other websites and thought it was a bit harsh but I now have to agree - CC is basically malware and ransomware. There is absolutely no reason why it should disable CS6 at the termination of a CC subscription. Moving forward I am not touching CC with a ten-foot pole. I may be in the minority but I don't see the value for what I do and I certainly do not condone Adobe's software interaction with previous Photoshop iterations. Buyer beware.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Corran - Sorry about what you've been through, but yours is the very first time I've heard about this. Practically everyone I know is and has been running CS6 Standalone right along side every version of CC that has come down the pike - and all with no problems at all. What OS and OS version are you on and did you call Adobe (and yes they're pretty bad for CS now) to see what they recommend and why this happened. I have every version going back to v3 in 1995 and have never had any conflict, and on my main Mac Pro tower, the versions go back to CS or CS2. It does sound like some wires got crossed somewhere along the way and it's Adobe that should help you uncross them so it doesn't happen again. All that being said, there really is little reason to go back once you're using CC2017, as so many little things have been tweaked and improved along the way. Just be sure to click on the Advanced option before actually downloading and installing any new CC application, and uncheck the option to wipe all previous CC versions off you drive, which will also dump any plugins you might be using. Now that really is a crappy default.

I did some research trying to fix the issue and found others with the same problem. Not sure if there is a root cause. I am running Windows 7 64-bit here.

I didn't think to call Adobe because my experience with on-the-phone IT help is skewed very negative. I have been working on computers since before grade school and generally know more than any phone jockey. I did work it out, in my own way, and while I understand others may disagree I have no interest in the newer CC versions of the software. I currently don't have any clients needing cross-compatibility (which was my original reason for getting a CC subscription) so for the time being I will be sticking with what works and doesn't cost me a monthly fee (which I am frankly also very much against!!).
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome