Thread: linhof technika III tighten up? help!

linhof technika III tighten up? help!

I have a technika III 4x5 that I love but the front "standard" (lense board holder) is loose. it seems to lock on the grove for the focus stop but it rocks back and forth (front to back) and pops off the stop. it doesnt seem it be tight like everthingelse is. is there any way i can fix this at home?any help please!Dave

Slide the front standard off the rail and look on the bottom of the standard. I'm not sure how this works on the Tech III, but on my Tech V there's an eccentric cam (not the focusing cam) held in place by a screw that controls the tension in the rail grips. It's not unusual for it to become loose over a period of years, and it's easily adjusted.

Just to be sure I checked my Tech III again and reconfirmed that there is not an adjustment for this. Someone please correct me if I am wrong as I'd love to know what it is. I came up with my own solution(I'm sure the folks at Hp Marketing will cringe) I drilled a small hole in the side of the standard in line with the rail then tapped it for a 2-56 screw attached a rubber knob to the screw and use it to lock down the front standard when necessary.
    The only other way I can see of doing this it somehow attach shims.

Thanks for the help guys! Ok I dont see a "cam" screw under the front standard, one screw only that looks to do with the swing stop.
    Ron.... I agree I think some shims fell out or something. If no one has a better idea then I'm going to drill and tap it. I cant work with it like it is( way too loose)! Thanks Again, Dave

I went the drill and tap route after trying to install some 001 shim stock without any luck as there was no way to secure it. It would have to be silver soldered or something like that.