Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Craziest photo trip.

Drew Wiley

Re: Craziest photo trip.

I've had so many crazy trips and incidents I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Crazy? I'm not sure. One of the most gratifying photo experience of recent years past was when I shot the work for my MFA thesis exhibition. I spent three months camping and living out my car traveling to almost twenty states and and many thousand miles photographing protected lands and recreational/national parks. I was studying the ways people interact with the landscape and how the design of those spaces might have influenced peoples' interactions. Each photograph took a full day to make. Several hrs observing peoples' patterns, drawing of maps, waiting for the right light, making my 'hero' exposure, then layering multiple exposures on that same sheet of film once the sun had set with light trails that showed the traffic patterns for a certain area for that day. Long process but well worth it. I dragged my sinar through a lot that summer, but damn was it worth it! Had such a great time camping, eating cheap food, making g art, and being in such great places. Wish I had some different glass to use in making that work, but it was still a great time. I'm still trying to make more work like that, but haven't been that successful. Perhaps my next trip out will be more fruitful :-)

Drew Wiley

The things I remember are the incidents when I darn near died on one harebrained LF trip or another. Seems like I was always testing the elements, seeing how
    close I could get right to the edge of extreme weather in the mtns. No more, though sometimes recently the weather has volunteered to come to me. I'm prepared.