Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 5x7: images and film

5x7: images and film

Anyone who uses 5x7, can you show or direct me to some sample work ?

Also, where/who is a good source of 5x7 b&w film ? Is TMax 400 or Ilford FP4 available in 5x7 ? ?

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I use 5x7", mostly FP4.

http://www.bruraholo.no/tomler
    is mostly 5x7", with some 9x12cm, 4x5" and 18x24cm thrown in.

Octogenarian

Hi Ken,

Scott Rosenberg and myself are presently comparing Ilford HP-5+, FP-4+, and T-Max 100. We are using Hp-5+ in 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10. We only have FP-4+ and T-Max 100 in the 4x5 size. However, that should not affect the results of the comparison, since We are only comparing the tonality of the various films. So far, the Ilford FP-4+ is showing signs of being the best choice, no matter which format we use.

Ilford Fp-4+, in 5x7, is available from several sources. I obtained mine from B&H, in New York. Also check out Arista brand, from Freestyle and the Photo Warehouse's 125 speed film. They are re-badged FP-4+. Check with Anthony at Fine Art Photo Supply. His film is FP-4+ and can be ordered in 5x7 at a lower cost than from most of the others

Look at Tuan's website to see a huge selection of 5x7 shots in color.

Badger Graphic is showing 5x7 TXP in stock on its web site, www.badgergraphic.com

Paul Caponigro's work is mainly 5X7 (since the 1960's anyway.) He might be worth looking at. Just put his name in Google and you should get some hits with images. (If you add "-John" to your search criteria, Google will ignore topics concerning his son, John-Paul Caponigro.)

Other places to check for film are Freestyle Photo and JandCphoto.com. I'm particularly fond of Efke film available from J and C.

Cheers,

James

I've just started using 5x7" recently, after shooting 8x10" and 4x5" for some years, and I've been shooting Arista.EDU 400 and J&C Classic 400 (depending on availability), which are both equivalent to FortePan 400. You can get Arista.EDU from freestylecamera.biz and you can get J&C Classic and Efke films in 5x7" from www.jandcphotography.com. Here are a couple of 5x7's I've made with technical info--

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1876&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

http://www.apug.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1947&password=&sort=1&cat=500&page=1

I think Steve Simmons is also a partisan of 5x7", and he's run a few articles on the format in _View Camera_ magazine.

My friend, Stephen Longmire, who photographs landscapes and occasionally pops into this forum shoots 5x7".

And how can I forget--the founder of this forum Quang-Tuan Luong shoots 5x7".

I've been shooting 5"x7" for a couple years. I've always used Tri-X. Still using stock of "old" Tri-X. I've always bought it from Calumet, not all the stores will stock it, but mail order and web should. I think Bergger has so far gone unmentioned, they do supply their BPF 200 in 5x7 as well as every other size I know of. (I use and like Bergger for my ULF work)
    Hopefully soon, I'll get my image galleries (including 5"x7", 14"x17", and 20"x24" work) up on my personal site, (www.tracystorer.com)
    5"x7" is a wonderful format....both for its' size and shape. (big enough to contact print in toothier alt. processes and in-between squareish 4x5/8x10 and the panoramic formats)
    Tracy
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

just as a brief follow-up to eugene's response, i will attach a scan of a couple of identical shots taken with TMax 100 and FP4+. for this series of pictures, the negs were developed in ilford dd developer.

it's tough to see in these scans, but the fp4+ retains more detail in the highlights... this is most apparant when looking at the undersides of the flowers. the fp4+ also has a different look to it overall... it's a much more pleasing image, at least to my eye. it has a certain smoothness and luminousity that the tmax is lacking somehow. the under a loupe, tmax is definately finer grained, but that is not so much an issue when shooting in 4x5 or 5x7. the differences between the two are more pronounced than the scan reveals.

i don't know if this will help you at all, but since you guys were discussing such matters, i figured i'd weigh-in.