Page 3 of 69 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Post Your Photos Made At Close Distance

Re: Post Your Photos Made At Close Distance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big Eye.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	129638Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brain.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	129639

Here are a couple that I like from the ongoing solarization series

What is close up and what is Macro?

I thought 1-10 was the beginning of macro.
    Tin Can

If your cable release is quite short does that count as a photo "made at close distance"?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    What is close up and what is Macro?

I thought 1-10 was the beginning of macro.
    According to Wikipedia:

"Macro photography (or photomacrography or macrography, and sometimes macrophotography), is extreme close-up photography, usually of very small subjects, in which the size of the subject in the photograph is greater than life size..."

Quote Originally Posted by dave_whatever View Post
    If your cable release is quite short does that count as a photo "made at close distance"?
    Yes, especially if your arm is quite short

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post

Teapot, February 2015
    Sinar P, 180mm Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar
    4x5 TMY, D-23
    I am really diggin the tone on tone stuff, and find myself studying the highlight reflection for additional info; beyond the image notes the reflection indicates this to be shot in winter. Thats pretty cool, pot steam may even add to the single photo story.

While this may not at first seem to be "staged" it is difficult to imagine the components are strictly found "naturally". But the other "close distance" work of yours I see suggests you prefer items which appear to have been photographed in a natural state. I would first ask if this is correct and then ask "why"?

Thanks.

edit: by "photographed in a natural state" I mean "less formally".
    “Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile!”
    ― Robert Doisneau”

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brain.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	129639
    __

I like it...
    Very nicely done Bob!

The original shadow, under the Object on the table (*Now acting as a 'Highlight')...
    Is extremely well thought out and executed!

-Tim.
    _________

Quote Originally Posted by Taija71A View Post
    __

I like it... Very nicely done Bob!
    The shadow, under the Object on the table (*Now acting as a 'Highlight')... Is extremely well executed!

-Tim.
    _________
    Yeah, I keep going back to this. On one hand I REALLY like it; I am conflicted though about the tension created by it is "off centered-ness". It's almost as if the "brain" appearance adds enough tension and the lack of centeredness pushes it out of bounds for me.
    “Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile!”
    ― Robert Doisneau”

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Quan View Post
    While this may not at first seem to be "staged" it is difficult to imagine the components are strictly found "naturally". But the other "close distance" work of yours I see suggests you prefer items which appear to have been photographed in a natural state. I would first ask if this is correct and then ask "why"?
    Some people have a special talent for creating beautiful scenes which feel natural, but when I try to arrange things they tend to look stiff and contrived.

I don't own any lights and don't have a studio. I'm an amateur and haven't had any training in those areas. My training from Fred Picker consisted of walking very slowly around cemeteries, barns and river beds, using a viewing filter with attention to precise camera placement. I suspect he got the same training from Ansel and passed it along intact.

In my house there's a small pantry with a glass door nearby. That's where my wife stores tea pots, dinner ware, a large ceramic pitcher, etc. On snowy days I have found that the light is very nice for this sort of subject: her pantry becomes my "studio".

Everything we do is staged and contrived. In the sense that I chose the camera placement, the teapot photo was staged too - but for me it was a discovery, no different than if I had been climbing over rocks at the beach and stumbled upon a promising arrangement.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Some people have a special talent for creating beautiful scenes which feel natural, but when I try to arrange things they tend to look stiff and contrived.

I don't own any lights and don't have a studio. I'm an amateur and haven't had any training in those areas. My training from Fred Picker consisted of walking very slowly around cemeteries, barns and river beds, using a viewing filter with attention to precise camera placement. I suspect he got the same training from Ansel and passed it along intact.

In my house there's a small pantry with a glass door nearby. That's where my wife stores tea pots, dinner ware, a large ceramic pitcher, etc. On snowy days I have found that the light is very nice for this sort of subject: it becomes my "studio".

Everything we do is staged and contrived. In the sense that I chose the camera placement, the teapot photo was staged too - but for me it was a discovery, no different than if I had been climbing over rocks at the beach and stumbled upon a promising arrangement.
    Thanks for the incisive and illustrative answer. This helps me "see" your photos.
    ― Robert Doisneau”

__

“It is amazing what you (Kenneth Lee) can accomplish... If you do not care who gets the credit.”

~~ Harry S. Truman. ~~
    ______