Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grand Canyon Logistics

Drew Wiley

Re: Grand Canyon Logistics

The nearest sizable town, Flagstaff, is quite a drive away. But there are plenty of accommodations, food, etc, near the south rim of the park itself. Probably too much. The north rim is a different story and seasonally restricted. Summer is zoo season - herds of tourists and tour buses. But you're headed there mid-Spring
    which should be quite nice. You probably should make reservations somewhere, just in case. The NP Lodge will probably be way too $$$; but you might want to
    eat breakfast there just for the famous window view. The rim trails are easy walking and virtually level. Most of the tour bus mobs step out onto a limited number of "scenic turnouts" and overlooks, and after a few minutes are herded back onto the buses to go gamble at Las Vegas, or in the summer, to their offical five minute view of Yellowstone, then back to Yosemite for five minutes, etc. Just walk a little ways further for some private camera time, or to so earlier or later in the day. Hiking into the canyon is obviously a different story. I don't know if there is risk of fog in the canyon that late past Winter or not. It can obscure the stereotypical view completely, but is beautiful in its own right. If someone does decide to hike into the canyon, carry LOTS of water. What goes down must come back up! I've been to both the north and south rim several times. My favorite time for the south rim is mid-winter. But I don't recall ever taking a single
    picture of either! Just enjoyed the view, got some aspen shots and various desert themes in route, but left the canyon itself to the myriads of LF photographers who have gone before.

Go East! Canyon de Chelle, Petrified Forest, Monument Valley. Another +1 for North Rim. Then Bryce, Zion and Arches.

Many options in and around Grand Canyon. Take a look at Marble Canyon Lodge, Lees Ferry, Paria Canyon, hiking up and down the Colorado, hire a boat Lees Ferry to Glen Canyon Dam, walk the original Lees Ferry road, visit John D. Lee's Lonely Dell Ranch and orchard. Read Lees Ferry by P.T Reilly. Wet a line in the Colorado River at Lees Ferry (fishing guides available) or fish from the bank. History, geology, scenic, accessible, and a mighty good lookin' locale with no buses or crowds. Watch GC raft trips gear-up and launch. Just a thought.

Drew Wiley

Heck. He lives in Arizona. He can go those other places anytime. Lees Ferry and all the nearby Kanab, Coral Dunes, etc sights are wonderful too, but are a bit of a drive past the Grand Canyon. By contrast, right on the way to GC you've got places like Hovenweep, Walnut Canyon, San Francisco Pks, and a great little Natural History museum right below those peaks. Plenty to see in the immediate vicinity if the view of the Canyon itself somehow wears out. There will be a variety of light that time of the year if just relaxing and taking it in is the objective. Seeing too many things on a single trip is a good way to see nothing. Desert Solitaire
    got it right.

The Grand Canyon is truly wonderful. (I also recommend Canyon de Chelly if you've never been there, but the Grand Canyon is, well, grand.) One of the really truly amazing places I've been. On the south rim, El Tovar is a great lodge if you can get in (which you probably can't at short notice) but they do have a nice pub and a restaurant. For an easier hike I would recommend the South Kaibab to Bright Angel. There are buses that can take you to the trail head. Just go down halfway and turn around, or take Bright Angel out. Both have mules on them. Definitely more traffic on Bright Angel. If you have any of AA's pictures of the Grand Canyon review them before you go. It's fun to see the same places he photographed.

Well, put it this way - my wife and both grand-nephews and the cat in total weigh slightly less than I do. The mules would almost certainly run the other way at first sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrada View Post
    Well, put it this way - my wife and both grand-nephews and the cat in total weigh slightly less than I do. The mules would almost certainly run the other way at first sight.
    Jim, with your family, spring weather and options your trip will me memorable and remain on your list. Live it up!

In case anyone is interested in hard facts, here are the requirements for mule riders

RIDER QUALIFICATIONS: (These apply to all mule ride activities)

• All skill-levels of riders are welcome
    • Riders must be in good physical condition
    • Phantom Ranch: Riders must weigh less than 200 pounds (90 kg), fully dressed
    • Canyon Vistas: Riders must weigh less than 225 pounds (102 kg), fully dressed
    • Riders must be at least 4 feet, 7 inches tall
    • Each rider must be able to speak and understand fluent English
    • Riders should not be afraid of heights or large animals
    • Riders cannot be pregnant
    • Long sleeve shirts, long pants, broad brim hats and close-toed shoes are required
    • Ski caps and gloves are recommended for winter riders
    • Rider’s height must be proportionate to his or her weight

from this page:

Les

Jim, have you tried looking at lodging in Williams, AZ ? Sure, you'll have a small drive to get to GC, but not as far as from Tucson. There are plenty of wonderful overlook places without having to utilize the mules. As Vaughn pointed out, it will be quite chilly at the Rim in March.

Les

Grand Canyon Logistics

As others mentioned earlier on, there's a few hotels just outside of the actual national park itself, I stayed at the Best Western multiple times, and it's just fine for doing that, it's not it all far to drive from there to the actual Canyon, just do that.

As far as actually places to see, take everyone's suggestions and then just try it yourself, you're probably going to have to come back a second time. I've hiked the whole thing in to the bottom and back twice and both experiences were wonderful and I learned lots of new things each time.

~Stone