Thread: Schneider Kreuznach Xenar 4.5/150mm

Schneider Kreuznach Xenar 4.5/150mm

Hello,

Being totally new to LF, I would like to have some help concerning a Schneider Kreuznach Xenar 4.5/150 mm lens (serial no. 8320857) to be used on a Linhof Technika.

If I don't mistake, this lens must have been built +/- in 1963/1964.

Is this lens multicoated?

Does it give high quality on the Linhof Technika with 6x9 rollfilm (color slides)?

Any other useful information you could give to a beginner?

Thank you very much!

Kind regards

Aender Brepsom

You are correct on the date of manufacture. It will cover 6x9 just fine with plenty of movements. I haven't used one of these lenses in too many years to be able to make any kind of a solid comment on its quality but if memory serves I would call it an adequate rather than superb lens for its time. It is single coated.

I have one that's about ten years later that I use for 4x5". It should be fine for color and give you plenty of room for movements on 6x9. It offers limited movements on 4x5". While it illuminates a fairly large circle, image quality drops off precipitously as you get toward the edge.

To the best of my knowledge, none of the Xenars were ever multi-coated. Their performance was, however, highly respected nonetheless.

Scheider still makes a 150mm and 210mm Xenar, but I'm not sure whether they are multicoated, since they seem to be budget priced lenses, and with a Tessar-type, the marginal advantage of multicoating over single coating might not be worth the cost.

My circa 1974 Xenar doesn't seem to be multicoated, but it's not a bad lens. I use it mainly because it's the only cammed lens I have for my Tech V that closes with the camera, even with a collapsible rubber hood and sometimes a filter. With the cable release mounted to the camera bed, it's a fairly compact way to carry a Technika and be ready to shoot quickly.

There are no multicoated Xenars - all are single coated, but as has been pointed out, the simplicity of the Tessar design means fewer surfaces than a lot of lenses so there is not a very significant disadvantage to their being single coated. They are all very sharp in the center which is where you will be using it for 6X9. My own personal experience with one f4.5 and a few late model f5.6s indicates that the 5.6s are a bit better than the f4.5 sample I tested, but I was looking at a full 4X5 frame and on 6X9, I doubt that there will be any difference. Great cheap little lens.

Thanks very much to all of you for your helpful replies!!!

Cheers