Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: :( My mint Graflex 2x3 RB 'B' is curtains!

Re: :( My mint Graflex 2x3 RB 'B' is curtains!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cienfuegos View Post
    I used a 1/16" pin punch to very carefully drive out that little pin. It actually came out pretty easily, I tapped it with a 10 oz. ball peen hammer.

m
    If it comes down to trying your curtain, I will trim it to size, after the hours i already spent a careful trimming will be a doddle.
    Tin Can

I used a 1/16" pin punch to very carefully drive out that little pin. It actually came out pretty easily, I tapped it with a 10 oz. ball peen hammer.

m
    Some are easy to get out some are stubborn as hell, my 4x5 reflex was stubborn, the 5x7's were easier, go figure.

Someone did a crappy repair. The original pin is a 1/16" tapered steel pin. I used a steel plate to back up the shaft before using the hammer. be sure that whoever did the bang-up job didn't peen the end of the pin so that you can't drive it out, you might have to sue a small file to smooth the head off before driving it out.

m

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Ok. I was using sharp blows with a 2 oz hammer and a 1/16th straight pin punch. On My 3X4 RB it looks like a brass pin to me.

As there are existing hammer dents in the area it is definitely an old repair. It really looks like a nail as it was clipped with side cutters on both ends. I'm getting nowhere.

I was trying to reset the upper selector to 0 and stupidly removed the L lever that trips the curtain. I got the 0 reset but now cannot reinstall that L lever by sneaking in the side, hence I need to remove that pin and the whole box.

Never tried this before. Learn by mistakes.

I put it away for the night and will regroup and attack later.
    Michael Cienfuegos

Someone did a crappy repair. The original pin is a 1/16" tapered steel pin. I used a steel plate to back up the shaft before using the hammer. be sure that whoever did the bang-up job didn't peen the end of the pin so that you can't drive it out, you might have to sue a small file to smooth the head off before driving it out.

m
    If it is a tapered pin, then the hole may be tapered also? This pin is peened on both sides...

I will Dremel grind a clean edge and try again tomorrow.
    Tin Can

If you're talking about the pin holding on the mirror return lever, Ken Ruth told me it is a taper pin, and yes, the hole will have been made with a taper drill or taper reamer.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    If you're talking about the pin holding on the mirror return lever, Ken Ruth told me it is a taper pin, and yes, the hole will have been made with a taper drill or taper reamer.
    I am and I can't tell which end is small or big. I will square off and grind both ends of the pin down to the hole area and then try to ascertain which way to push. Of course the grinding will make both areas hard to examine, as the holes and pin will blend.

The plot thickens.
    Tin Can

If it was previously repaired, and the repairman wasn't paying attention then it's probably not a taper pin anymore.

Don't grind the area, I've found using these on a Dremel to buff off the patina can help determinig where the
    narrow end of the taper is.