Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: What are your dark room "luxuries?"

Re: What are your dark room "luxuries?"

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bowring View Post
    Kodak static eliminator. Bought mine for $15 when a local guy was closing his darkroom. Cleaning the negative is so much easier than spotting prints. There is one for sale on Madison, WI craigslist for $20.
    Three antistatic clean room blowguns.😀

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    The wet hood was the best thing I ever did to improve print quality by eliminating dust. Nate Potter, Austin TX.
    Nate, can you post a photo?

walbergb

The darkroom itself is a luxury. I use the local, fully-equipped art gallery darkroom: 11 enlarging stations around the outside, two temperature controlled 8' sinks with 360 degree access and overhead exhaust canopy. Separate drying room and separate chemical storage/prep room with its own sink, water supply, shelving, and exhaust fan. There are only a handful of us doing analog photography, so we pretty much have our run of the place. I store a lot of my own equipment and supplies there including a Beseler 23C II & a 45S. I can use the place for $6.50/day (includes $0.50 for parking)��

Aside from the facilities, a real luxury is the test strip jig I made based on Ralph Lambrecht's design (see his book "Way Beyond Monochrome"). It allows me to make 7 test strips of the same part of a negative for comparing different exposures, different contrast grades, and dodging & burning times. It works seemlessly with f-stop timing and my Gralab 900 9 memory timer.

I have a small hair dryer to dry down prints for tonal evaluation. It avoids trips to the kitchen microwave like Ansel used to do.

I got myself a dish warmer some time ago. Print developers are temperature sensitive too yet the the correct temperature is often neglected during the long darkroom sessions.
    http://www.kaiser-fototechnik.de/en/...ge.asp?nr=4141
    Linhof Kardan re

Quote Originally Posted by evan clarke View Post
    Three antistatic clean room blowguns.😀
    Where do we buy affordable ones?

Like this? http://meech.com/en/products/static-...n#.VPDcuvnF9HY
    Tin Can

No connection to seller... but this is one of my favorite luxuries... Just used it today.

A water-powered (no shock risk) magnetic-stirrer. Such a treat to pour powder into a pot of water and walk away...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Water-Driven...item5b0d6cd4df

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    No connection to seller... but this is one of my favorite luxuries... Just used it today.

A water-powered (no shock risk) magnetic-stirrer. Such a treat to pour powder into a pot of water and walk away...
    A hot plate magnetic stirrer is also high on my list of darkroom luxuries. If you spend any time souping your special formulas, this item will add value to your darkroom experience.

Others luxuries at my place.
    1) Gretag D200-II densitometer, with apertures for reading Blue, Green and UV.
    2) iOne spectrophotmeter, for creating ICC and QTR profiles
    3) Three UV light sources for alternative printing, NuArc 26-1k, Amergraph ULF-28, and a souped up (+ tubes) Ryonnet screen BL X-Vactor.
    4) Several Epson photo printers, for prints and digital negatives.
    5) Howtek 7500 drum scanner
    6) Cheap Windows laptop for use with WinPlotter.
    7) Mark VII sensitometer for testing film.

To make room for all this stuff I got rid of the enlargers so now I only contact print the wet stuff. I also had to finish a space above the garage to house some of the equipment so slots of out with the old and in with the new. But if we are not changing we are dying, and life (for me) is about being, growing, and changing.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon