Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Durst 138s + 650 Watt Quartz Super 8 Movie Light

Re: Durst 138s + 650 Watt Quartz Super 8 Movie Light

I have a couple reasons for thinking about this... I'm missing at least one condenser for 4x5 and unable to print medium format so the switch to diffusion is a cost saving option. I have two 240 condensers and the 35mm set. I have been printing 4x5 with a 135mm lens because I don't have a 150. (Just bought one) I tend to like diffusion enlargers better anyway.

The idea of a bulb that is energy efficient, cool running, long lasting and stable intrigues me... I have no idea how much longer my original 300w opal bulb is going to last.

Funny, I could swear the packaging for the bulb said 4000k. I was happy with how the 5000k LED handled contrast filters. I will do better testing, but it seems to give more than enough contrast for me with VC #5. I have never printed higher than a VC #4 with Durst bulb.

Once the 150mm arrives, I will make a print with condenser and with the LED diffusion setup and see which one I like better.

Biggest reason for the LED Conversion? It's been fun pretending to be an engineer the last couple of days!
    Robert Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Oliver View Post
    I have a couple reasons for thinking about this... I'm missing at least one condenser for 4x5 and unable to print medium format so the switch to diffusion is a cost saving option. I have two 240 condensers and the 35mm set. I have been printing 4x5 with a 135mm lens because I don't have a 150. (Just bought one) I tend to like diffusion enlargers better anyway.

The idea of a bulb that is energy efficient, cool running, long lasting and stable intrigues me... I have no idea how much longer my original 300w opal bulb is going to last.

Funny, I could swear the packaging for the bulb said 4000k. I was happy with how the 5000k LED handled contrast filters. I will do better testing, but it seems to give more than enough contrast for me with VC #5. I have never printed higher than a VC #4 with Durst bulb.

Once the 150mm arrives, I will make a print with condenser and with the LED diffusion setup and see which one I like better.

Biggest reason for the LED Conversion? It's been fun pretending to be an engineer the last couple of days!
    Even failed experiments are fun. We learn no matter the result.

Carry on!
    Tin Can

No matter how I set it up, I am still getting a hot spot. Measured falloff is between 1 to 1.5 stops to the corners.

My last setup had four sheets of rosco diffusion gel in the light path. One in place of heat absorbing glass, one outside filter drawer, one on top of top condenser slot and one on bottom of lower condenser slot. I replaced the mirror with a piece of white stryofoam... I even wrapped the outer portions of that foam in silver tape to try and even it out.

I understand why glenview designed his variable diffusion screen.... I am thinking about making a mask in Photoshop on transparency film from a scan of one of the blank test prints. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	129633
    Robert Oliver

The mask sounds like an interesting idea and would seem like it would work. Let us know how it goes.

G40............

Might want to try something like this:

http://www.artograph.com/light-boxes/lightpad-series/

L

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Might want to try something like this:

http://www.artograph.com/light-boxes/lightpad-series/

L
    We assumed you saw this. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...=1#post1207180
    Tin Can

I did not see that.

Almost seems too easy!
    Robert Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Oliver View Post
    I did not see that.

Almost seems too easy!
    I thought you just wanted to do it your way.

Many think it's too easy, but Bob Mann and I both us it now. I also made an 8x10 and plan on an 11x14 on day.
    Tin Can

I converted my 138 enlarger to halogen 12 volts 100watts, i now have 2stops more light.
    I made a reflector of alluminium a halogen lampsocket and a computer cooling fan and put on the original lamp movement.
    It works already several years, its a joy touse.
    If ou are interested i can show a picture.