Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Matte paper diminished tonal range?

Re: Matte paper diminished tonal range?

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Matte paper absolutely destroys Dmax.
    Hogwash.

I love matte paper. I think you have to be an expert printer to utilize it to its potential - leading to such silly statements as above because of less-than-adequate print technique. But that's just my opinion...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

I can get about 1.71 with an all-Eboni inkset and Epson Hot Press Natural, but I see that people are getting 2.4 or more with glossy papers. There's really no open question as to whether glossy papers can achieve significantly more dmax than matte papers. As a result, glossy papers have more dynamic range than matte papers, and if increased dynamic range is very important for the image, and proper framing and lighting are available, then the choice is clear. In addition, the smooth surface can show more detail than the slightly textured surface of smooth matte paper. But not all images benefit from the greater dmax or super fine detail. The printer simply has to make the choice as to what works best for a given image, keeping in mind how the image will be displayed, as well as considerations of the desired level of image permanence.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    I agree, but AR glass would price framed photographs out of my market.
    And once again I'm thankful to have decided lo those many decades ago not to make my enjoyable hobby into a job. In other words, my photographs neither have nor seek a market.

I'd just like to share a story and give my thoughts as a beginner, comparatively.

About 6 months ago, I had the opportunity to purchase a large amount of photo paper. It was from a family whose father had passed away. I knew it could be intensly valuable, but I just couldn't pay what it was worth, but I couldn't let it pass.

When using RC paper, I prefer a kind of pearl finish to glossy. I can't keep from scratching the glossy RC after its dried. I do, however, love my ilford Classic glossy fiber. I love the way it looks after it's dry mounted.

This batch of paper, over 15 packs of 11x14 ilford, two boxes of Kentmere 16x20 (50 sheets each), some arista, and others.....,it's ALLLLL MATTE. Much of it is actually warmtone too. Definitely not my fav on two counts, but I've grown accustomed to it. It's not quite what I'd like, but still, once I got a 16x20 warmtone matte mounted and behind acrylic, I loved it, and I can't even remember that it was matte and warmtone.

If you are worried, try preparing two similar prints, maybe even prints from the same nagative printed identically. Get them all prepared, and ask somebody you trust objectively what they think.

After using all this matte paper, it still isn't my favorite, but I still don't have anything against it. It all looks glossy when it's wet anyways.
    I'm armed with a Wisner 4x5 Technical Field and a lot of hope. I got this. Oh, and my name's Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    And once again I'm thankful to have decided lo those many decades ago not to make my enjoyable hobby into a job. In other words, my photographs neither have nor seek a market.
    Again I agree. Much of my photography is pro bono. Some is sold non-profit at the local annual arts & crafts fair. Life has been good to me. Photography is one way I can share that.

People compare the dmax of a silver gelatin and pt pd print (arches platine) all the time here in my gallery. . I have noticed since showing both in my space for the last 3 months that there are
    really two camps. Well actually three camps as I belong to this third tribe which accepts both types of prints for what they give.

Right now I am playing with multiple register and multiple coating, a couple of very basic observations... double coating pt pd did not really give me the extra depth I thought I may get.
    second, a pt pd base coat that has incredible highlight range, can be improved by making a gum over of black/blue using a shadow separation negative.. This indeed gives more dmax in the print
    and now a fourth camp is made - ( which I am going to Join) where prints are made for each end of the tonality range and use materials that work best for both . I love Gum over Pt Pd using multiple negative , which can take one to
    full colour.

The problem with where we are today is that the new phase backs, laser printed c print and high end inkjet technology can produce such high quality prints , that when we stretch from
    the norm , sometimes our prints do not stand up to current trends.. that is a sad reflection on how people observe.. Have you ever seen a Fresson Print.... the layman would just call it
    a fuzzy , rough inkjet and walk by it all day, A beautiful Dye Transfer cannot hold up to the current technology, but once again IMHO well done dye transfers glow, glow glow.

I was lucky enough to make a digital silver print for a long time member here who no longer visits, I was trying to show him my work compared to a Jon Cone print from the exact same file. He was very gracious
    to tell me that he liked my silver print very much, he also provided me Jon's print for comparison... I was blown away how beautiful on matt paper his print was compared to my silver... I liked his much better
    and this little comparison has taught me to open my eyes.

So what camp do you belong too??

Camp four-most prints I see in all media are mediocre including historical alternative processes. No print media inherently gives a great print. Beautiful prints are possible with a variety of media including inkjet given a careful worker, a great capture and sustained effort in pursuit of a print that can move people.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk hit the nail on the head.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

I was at a show on Friday with a number of accomplished photographers showing a variety of print media. A friend of mine who is a recognized lifelong PP expert was literally pissed off because one of the artist's inkjets looked so damn good.................
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk. I am a traditionalist but I can't understand why some people get so whipped up about media choice. In the end everyone does what they enjoy, for me a computer and high dollar printer could never replace the peace and joy of working in a wet darkroom. I agree though seldom do we see a photographer who can fully develop the most from a good negative. Printing is probably the most difficult to master strata of the picture making process.