Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need information about Seroco 5X7 drop bed camera

Re: Need information about Seroco 5X7 drop bed camera

As far as I can see (I can't get the original listing to appear!), the listing was a BIN with just a single photograph and a rather unhelpful description of condition.

You are paying a somewhat premium price for something that could be unusable without a new bellows! As someone has already mentioned, these compact cycle cameras are rather well designed but very fragile. Getting a new bellows made which will compress into the available space in the box is not for the faint hearted.

Do check the flexibility/light tightness of the bellows on receipt and do not hesitate to return it. The mahogany strips are also prone to damage - especialy the front standard and extension system.

There are threads here which illustrate what film sheaths look like.

Would standard 5x7 fuilm holders work on this camera?

If not, maybe Star can make an adapter beck . . .? http://starcameracompany.com/index.html
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

That looks like a fine condition camera. Seroco (Sears Robuck Company) had any of the good makers relabel their cameras and lenses for them. This one looks like Century, but could be another maker. http://www.largeformatphotography.in...nd-Senior-work!

I've shot my 5x7 century grand. Because the dryplate versus film registration may be off, just shoot it stopped down a ways. That will help any focus problems. The film sheaths are common, here is what various sizes look like: http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-KODAK-4X5-...-/400856831652

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Would standard 5x7 fuilm holders work on this camera?

If not, maybe Star can make an adapter beck . . .? http://starcameracompany.com/index.html
    Yes, they fit.

Garrett,

Thanks for the link!

So, what the film sheath does is move the film plane forward a small amount to compensate for the thickness of the glass plate which was removed. Then, when the smaller thickness film is inserted into the holder, the film will be on the same plane as the original glass plate was. Does my thinking sound correct or am I off?

Is loading the film holder still fairly easy in the dark? lol

Thanks,
    David

That's the idea. It's not scientifically measured down to a micron though. They are actually a lot easier to load. Just slide the film into the metal sheath, then drop the bottom of the sheath into your holder, held at an angle. Depress the little spring so the sheath drops fully in, at the top, and release. Put in the darkslide. It works well. But again, they may not line up the same as the glass plates, but are close enough if you are at F8 or so.

Garrett,

OK, I will have to experiment to see how close it is.

Do you have any pictures that you can post as a guide? I think what I am looking for is a visual of what I need to look for and do to make this work.

Can anyone explain why I am willing to spend so much time and money with all this vintage photography? I need help!

Thanks again,
    David

Keep an eye on the large format film holder section of Pacific Rim Camera's site. They often list film sheaths of various sizes. Another alternative is to find a piece of sheet metal the same thickness as a glass negative. Cut it to the outside dimensions of one of your holders, and cut long so it sticks out of the camera back for easy gripping. Then cut a rectangle the size of the holder opening. Focus the camera with this in place. Remove it and replace it with your loaded holder. (I took the easier route of reversing my ground glass when I owned an old Seneca cycle camera. Works fine as well.)

You should be getting this camera quite soon - remember to do a bellows check! The camera looks to be in good condition. Changes in available technogy at the time (early 20th century) meant that many of these super cameras were put in storage after just a few years.

Fitting a film sheath loaded with film into a plate holder is not a difficult operation. The easiest conversion of these kinds of plate holder, without pressure springs as in book holders, is to install some strips of softish foam slightly thicker than the glass thickness that used to be there. Depending on the construction of the edge (and wear) of the type of holders (Agfa and others made these too, although KODAK had most of the market), very small distance pieces of paper may need to inserted under the GG mountings. There is no way that a reversal of the GG is necessary! This was only necessary with the first colour plates, such as autochrome, where the exposure took place on the side of the glass facing away from the lens.

Steven, I have one of these Conley bicycle cameras in 4x5 and a 1910 Conley view camera and both have their original leather bellows and both are fine. I don't know how European bellows from this time period were but apparently here they were made for the long haul.