Thread: tripod legs

tripod legs

I am looking for a set of carbon fibre tripod legs and a new head to support a ebony 45s. My current legs are gitzo performance compact 4 sections. why havent they done a carbon fibre version of this tripod? it compacts to such a small folded length but has supported a sinar f2 for the last 6 years. Is there any other brand that does something similar. Im 6ft3ins tall so i need the height to be quite high(without the column extended.

Also i cant imagine using a ball head with architecture, so is the 3 way linhof the only compact choice? And is there a quick release plate for this head?

tripod legs

"And is there a quick release plate for this head"

There are QR systems for any head. Linhof makes the Quickfix I and the Quickfix II systems. Novoflex makes the Miniconnect and the Miniconnect MR as well as the Arca compatible Q=Base which is fully automatic and the Q=Mount which is manual, Giottos makes the 625 and virtually all other head manufacturers make QR systems that will also work.

tripod legs

The Gitzo CF 1325 leg set is a good legset. I use it with an Ebony 45SU. THere is no centre column supplied (available as an accessory) but I'm a smidge over 6' tall and it is more than plenty big enough!!! I am using a Manfrotto/Bogen head at the present - the Art 329 Pro Compact (I think!)- 3 way pan/tilt nut very low profile and with a good QR plate. I did use the low profile magnesium Gitzo head but found the controls VERY stiff and a real pain in the field!! The Manfrotto controls are smooth and jerk free!

tripod legs

Tom,

I use the Gitzo CF 1325 with an Arca F-Line Classic and an Acratech ballhead. I am 6'1-1/2" and I use the tripod with the legs shortened a couple of inches. I don't have a center column. I am very happy with this setup.

tripod legs

I use Velbon NeoCarmagne 740 with the Linhof 003663 head and the Really Right Stuff "panning clamp"...but now I'm forking over the $1500 for the Arca-Swiss C1 Cube as it is the first geared head which I'd consider lightweight and compact(plus I hate that clunky Bogen quick release plate). Although the Linhof stays exactly where you put it, I find putting it in exactly the right spot with a 75mm lens on 4x5 to be pretty damn hard in the first place, thus the decision to part with such an absurd amount of cash for the tripod head.