Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: photo editing

Re: photo editing

Thanks Randy.
    Will definitely get 8Gb ram and i5 or i7 if I can.
    Jim

I always felt naked worked best generally.
    Jim

Interesting I have used Lenovo for years and have been happy. Adorama has an Edge E540, i5-4200 with 4Gb ram.
    Jim

Tin Can

If you simply need a laptop for non-demanding requirements, I'd get a chromebook (and do zero photo editing on it), and spend the $N-200 on a desktop box for editing.

Preston Birdwell

Jim,

I have a 15" laptop with an i5 and 8GB RAM, and a 240 GB Intel SSD from Puget Systems, but one of their machines is outside your budget. The machine handles large image files just fine with Photo Shop CS6. I also have an attached 22" NEC monitor, when needed. The i7 will give better performance, but for my money, I'd stay with i5, an SSD, and up the RAM to 16GB.

Good luck in your search, and be sure to let us know what you wind up with, and how it's working for you.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Digital guy enjoying analog

Unsure if you have already picked one up, but if on a budget, or want to get bang for your buck - i've had great luck with local craigslist. Admittedly i'm an IT guy, so this is what i do... but with a budget of $800 you should be able to get a much nicer laptop than one new. Admittedly without warranty, but if it's in good shape in general you should be fine! I'd rather get an older (one gen back) i7 w/ more processor threads (less efficient on battery life), and upgrade either the RAM (pretty inexpensive) or to a larger SSD (the *only* way to go).
    I've always had good luck with Dell and Lenovo (formerly IBM), but also Toshiba and others. There are so many good ones out there, i'd pick any major brand you like. (weight - size - battery life (pick two)).

Given you are not into a production/efficiency workflow and will do this only occasionally (right?) - any new'ish laptop should do what you want. Some will be slower than others. A modern generation processor with 8-16GB RAM (more is almost always better, but i'd spend $ on larger SSD first), Biggest SSD you can afford, and a decent sized screen (i use a 13 and 15 for my two laptops - both doing photos on occasion).

I personally would spend some $ on Lightroom (cloud if you'd like, or local). It's what i know and use obviously, but it makes modifying images sooooo easy and is non-destructive of the original file (changes are added on, but do not manipulate original - you export the final image with changes (jpg, dng, etc.)). Love the little tweaks for image straightening, dodge and burn... all the digital darkroom stuff you could ever want. Even the auto settings are REALLY good (or a starting point).

You never specified OS - Windows or Mac OSX? If you prefer Apple - again a used macbook pro might squeeze into your budget, but new most likely will not. The macbook pro has a dedicated GPU (graphics card) that will help speed up any image intensive tasks (photos/video/games), where the macbook air does not. Almost all recent models are SSD based and the latest have easily swapped HDD and RAM for upgrading (good to know if getting one used).

Likely overkill, but hope it helps. If interested in getting a used system, feel free to PM me w/ ones you find and i can help you pick the best one? Or post here and i'll keep an eye to make suggestions.

GL!

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by RKPhoto View Post
    Unsure if you have already picked one up, but if on a budget, or want to get bang for your buck - i've had great luck with local craigslist. Admittedly i'm an IT guy, so this is what i do... but with a budget of $800 you should be able to get a much nicer laptop than one new. Admittedly without warranty, but if it's in good shape in general you should be fine! I'd rather get an older (one gen back) i7 w/ more processor threads (less efficient on battery life), and upgrade either the RAM (pretty inexpensive) or to a larger SSD (the *only* way to go).
    I've always had good luck with Dell and Lenovo (formerly IBM), but also Toshiba and others. There are so many good ones out there, i'd pick any major brand you like. (weight - size - battery life (pick two)).

Given you are not into a production/efficiency workflow and will do this only occasionally (right?) - any new'ish laptop should do what you want. Some will be slower than others. A modern generation processor with 8-16GB RAM (more is almost always better, but i'd spend $ on larger SSD first), Biggest SSD you can afford, and a decent sized screen (i use a 13 and 15 for my two laptops - both doing photos on occasion).

I personally would spend some $ on Lightroom (cloud if you'd like, or local). It's what i know and use obviously, but it makes modifying images sooooo easy and is non-destructive of the original file (changes are added on, but do not manipulate original - you export the final image with changes (jpg, dng, etc.)). Love the little tweaks for image straightening, dodge and burn... all the digital darkroom stuff you could ever want. Even the auto settings are REALLY good (or a starting point).

You never specified OS - Windows or Mac OSX? If you prefer Apple - again a used macbook pro might squeeze into your budget, but new most likely will not. The macbook pro has a dedicated GPU (graphics card) that will help speed up any image intensive tasks (photos/video/games), where the macbook air does not. Almost all recent models are SSD based and the latest have easily swapped HDD and RAM for upgrading (good to know if getting one used).

Likely overkill, but hope it helps. If interested in getting a used system, feel free to PM me w/ ones you find and i can help you pick the best one? Or post here and i'll keep an eye to make suggestions.

GL!

Rob
    Rob,
    Whew! At 69 yrs old, my experience with PC is utilitarian - just to get me a decent career and retirement. The offer to advise is a task I would be abusive to accept. I think my next step is to have a long talk with the local company I have used to edit and print my scans. They have been helpful so far and maybe I can work out something with them that lets me use their systems so I can have more hands on input upfront before final edit and print.
    I do have one question for you- If I get a laptop with 8-16 Gb RAM, GPU card and SSD based and has HDM1 connection; can I edit in Lightroom and look at edit on my Sony Bravia will I get a clearer idea of what I have done??
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by january112013 View Post
    Rob,
    Whew! At 69 yrs old, my experience with PC is utilitarian - just to get me a decent career and retirement. The offer to advise is a task I would be abusive to accept. I think my next step is to have a long talk with the local company I have used to edit and print my scans. They have been helpful so far and maybe I can work out something with them that lets me use their systems so I can have more hands on input upfront before final edit and print.
    I do have one question for you- If I get a laptop with 8-16 Gb RAM, GPU card and SSD based and has HDM1 connection; can I edit in Lightroom and look at edit on my Sony Bravia will I get a clearer idea of what I have done??
    Thanks
    I hooked my new this month Sony Bravia to my laptop and it allows a pretty nice view. Color is way off, but for B&W it is fairly interesting. However a lot of laptops are strained running a second screen.

Laptops just don't cut it.

Mine is 2010 ce, WIN 8.1, i7, 8gb ram and new SSD. Not good enough.
    Tin Can

Preston Birdwell

In terms of the actual hardware/software processing of an image, a laptop will certainly work, assuming it has decent up-to-date computing and video capabilities.

The real downside is the small screen, I believe. You just can't see the entire image large enough for critical work, and the screen type may also affect viewing angle and color gamut. In short, an external monitor is pretty much required, in my opinion. Your Sony Bravia will work, but I think you'll want to have a means of calibrating it.

Jim, having said all this, I think that a nicely spec'd desktop and monitor will make life much easier for you. Given your budget, you can obtain a very nice desktop that will work well for you. This assumes, of course, that you're open to the idea.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."