Hello everybody

I'm new to this forum. I am a film photographer who shoots 35mm and soon will go 6x6. I am also seriously considering the larger formats.

I shoot colour neg, black and white and transparency film and scan on a Coolscan 9000 plus an old V ED. Both scanners give OK results, though the 9000 is better in my view. But I very much dislike how they handle grain in C41 and black and white. Though the Coolscan's light source is somewhat softer than the V ED, it still gives a lot of usually red and blue noise in the shadows. This is very annoying and post-processing doesn't quite deal with the problem.

I've been considering an older professional flatbed scanner since I bought the 9000 a few years back, however I decided to go with what I was familiar with from having used the V ED for many years.

Today, I am not so sure that was the best decision given the trouble I have with getting scans that I am pleased with. Scanning is time-consuming so I want to use the time well.

I am seeking advice on what I believe are the main contenders for second-hand professional flatbed scanners which can be found for reasonable(ish) money these days. Specifically I am wondering about the Fuji Lanovia Quattro and the three iQsmart models.

I am very curious to see any comparison, if anyone has made that, between these models (or other ones I don't know of) and Coolscan scans. I think I must have read most of the threads in this forum about professional flatbed scanners but I haven't seen any image comparisons. Views online in this forum, at photo.net and other places seem to suggest that the professional flatbeds will perform better than the various Imacon models which would mean they beat the 9000 too with 35mm - is that right?

I realise that it is a gamble to buy an older machine. Service and parts may be non-existent or very expensive. Is there a difference in this respect between available models? I am based on Europe (Netherlands) if that makes a difference.

Also, I may have found a Quattro from 2004 that is being offered, with dongle, software, manuals and a large selection of film format masks. I have no idea what would be a reasonable price for such a scanner. If it isn't against the forum rules I would very much appreciate thoughts on this too, if I should make an offer.

This is something I have been wondering about for a long time so I very much look forward to your replies.

br and thanks in advance
Philip