Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering (old) professional flatbed scanner to complement a Coolscan 9000

Considering (old) professional flatbed scanner to complement a Coolscan 9000

Hello everybody

I'm new to this forum. I am a film photographer who shoots 35mm and soon will go 6x6. I am also seriously considering the larger formats.

I shoot colour neg, black and white and transparency film and scan on a Coolscan 9000 plus an old V ED. Both scanners give OK results, though the 9000 is better in my view. But I very much dislike how they handle grain in C41 and black and white. Though the Coolscan's light source is somewhat softer than the V ED, it still gives a lot of usually red and blue noise in the shadows. This is very annoying and post-processing doesn't quite deal with the problem.

I've been considering an older professional flatbed scanner since I bought the 9000 a few years back, however I decided to go with what I was familiar with from having used the V ED for many years.

Today, I am not so sure that was the best decision given the trouble I have with getting scans that I am pleased with. Scanning is time-consuming so I want to use the time well.

I am seeking advice on what I believe are the main contenders for second-hand professional flatbed scanners which can be found for reasonable(ish) money these days. Specifically I am wondering about the Fuji Lanovia Quattro and the three iQsmart models.

I am very curious to see any comparison, if anyone has made that, between these models (or other ones I don't know of) and Coolscan scans. I think I must have read most of the threads in this forum about professional flatbed scanners but I haven't seen any image comparisons. Views online in this forum, at photo.net and other places seem to suggest that the professional flatbeds will perform better than the various Imacon models which would mean they beat the 9000 too with 35mm - is that right?

I realise that it is a gamble to buy an older machine. Service and parts may be non-existent or very expensive. Is there a difference in this respect between available models? I am based on Europe (Netherlands) if that makes a difference.

Also, I may have found a Quattro from 2004 that is being offered, with dongle, software, manuals and a large selection of film format masks. I have no idea what would be a reasonable price for such a scanner. If it isn't against the forum rules I would very much appreciate thoughts on this too, if I should make an offer.

This is something I have been wondering about for a long time so I very much look forward to your replies.

br and thanks in advance
    Philip

Re: Considering (old) professional flatbed scanner to complement a Coolscan 9000

For smaller format scanning, it will be big step downward to use a flatbed vs. a Nikon V or LS-9000. I would recommend playing with different scanner software, e.g. NikonScan, Vuescan, Silverfast to see if it solves the problems you perceive. I have use various Nikon scanners since 2004 and have great results for B&W, E-6 and C41.

Re: Considering (old) professional flatbed scanner to complement a Coolscan 9000

Quote Originally Posted by philipus View Post
    I am also seriously considering the larger formats.
    For 4x5 up to 8x10:

Epson 2450/4870/4990 (refurbished) scanners no longer appear on Epson's clearance site, but they're reliable as used machines and receive kind remarks on this forum.

The newer models are the v700/750 or the recently released v800/850.

The refurbished v700 at Epson's clearance site goes for $415, all accessories, free shipping, one-year warranty. A good deal.

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    For smaller format scanning, it will be big step downward to use a flatbed vs. a Nikon V or LS-9000....
    I don't agree. I've owned both a Nikon V and a Screen Cezanne. The Cezanne flatbed does a significantly better job than the Nikon, especially with BW film.

Tim Parkin owns and used a bunch of scanners, including drum scanners and high-end flatbeds. He has a post here where he compares many of them. It's worth looking up.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    I don't agree. I've owned both a Nikon V and a Screen Cezanne. The Cezanne flatbed does a significantly better job than the Nikon, especially with BW film.

Tim Parkin owns and used a bunch of scanners, including drum scanners and high-end flatbeds. He has a post here where he compares many of them. It's worth looking up.
    My apology. I didn't read the OP carefully and did not see that he was looking at high end flatbeds.

Ignore my previous comments in that case :-) I would love to have a Cezanne myself.

I missed Philip's desire for high-end too -- though the Epson scanners I listed do a fantastic job with LF film for the price, if printing no larger than, say, 11x14.

The sale of the Coolscan 9000 or V-ED can go a long way in funding the purchase of a professional flat-bed.

Used models of the Nikon scanners are in high demand.

The other option is a used drum scanner, such as a Howtek 4500. These aren't as plentiful as they once were, though. The main issue with all of the old stuff is whether it is in good working condition, as repairs, if they're even an option, would be very expensive.

I recently saw an add for a Cezanne in Dallas for a reasonable amount. While not positive, I think that's the same person that a couple of us here bought from. I don't remember his last name, but his first was Howell. He worked for a big printing company, and that's were the scanners came from.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Thank you very much for the many and quick replies.

Yes, I am considering the high-end professional scanners, not the consumer models. I think I might be pushing it vis-a-vis my wife even with such a scanner so a drum scanner would be out of the question (or I would be out of the house)

I searched for the forum for Tim Parkin's comparison but come up empty-handed - perhaps it has been archived. Does anyone have a bookmark for it?

How do the Screen Cezanne, the Lanovia and the iQsmarts compare? Or is this not a relevant question even when comparing with a Coolscan (meaning, all will produce better results)?

Thank you in advance
    Philip

See Tim Parkin's post, #42, to see some comparisons, at: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-Scanner/page5

Apologies for the delay in writing back. Thank you for the further reply Peter.

I have read Tim Parkin's post and also saw comments in the long high end flatbed scanner thread. It seems an iQsmart 2 or 3 would be a good option if I could find them for reasonable money

What I can't find examples of is noise performance in C41 35mm film. That would be of interest to me. I would even be willing to send negs to someone who has scanners like these (I'm not aware of anyone here in the Netherlands).

Also, I use ColorPerfect (Photoshop plugin) to develop my scans. This requires linear scans. Is it possible to achieve this using the oxygen software?

A practical question - must these high-end flatbeds be serviced annually?

Thank you in advance
    Philip