Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: $110 per box of 10 sheets 8x10 TMY2?

Re: $110 per box of 10 sheets TMY2?

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    ...both are excellent and unique films with really no competition.
    I guess that is if you leave Delta 100 out and RPX 100 (or whatever Rollei / agfa is called now).

You get what you pay for, HP5+ is less than half the resolution of TMY-2, and prints made from 8x10 film that are big enough to notice the difference are a specialty product for very few people.

But when you want to make mural size prints and want the detail and need the speed that Acros100 doesn't have in wind etc, it's really what you need....
    I am sorry to say, that is just not true.

For reference, i once had the chance to work on a "mural" size print from a negative of a great image. the image was so amazing (as was the print, i did not make), we hung it at the front of the shop behind the main counter. I cannot even remember how many times people walked buy an said, wow, it must have been a challenge to carry an 8X10 up that mountain, in south east asia, or what kind of lens was that shot with?, or i am sure that was some tech pan. The truth was that it was HP5+, 35mm, shot with a canon plastic 50mm 1.8. That print was 1X1.5 meters. I am sure others can attest to that capability.

Allowed/acceptable circles of confusion are all that matters in really large size prints. The LPM resolution of a film could not possible affect the visible resolution of a print, at any size, to a naked eye, not to mention, the resolution of the paper is the limiting factor here. If one takes a loupe to a mural size print, well, someone else can complete that sentence.

Re: $110 per box of 10 sheets 8x10 TMY2?

I love that film but will no longer shoot it in 8x10. 4x5 and roll film, yes. I'll stick with my main films, HP5 and FP4, and exotic, Rollei, and Xray.

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    I guess that is if you leave Delta 100 out and RPX 100 (or whatever Rollei / agfa is called now).

I am sorry to say, that is just not true.

For reference, i once had the chance to work on a "mural" size print from a negative of a great image. the image was so amazing (as was the print, i did not make), we hung it at the front of the shop behind the main counter. I cannot even remember how many times people walked buy an said, wow, it must have been a challenge to carry an 8X10 up that mountain, in south east asia, or what kind of lens was that shot with?, or i am sure that was some tech pan. The truth was that it was HP5+, 35mm, shot with a canon plastic 50mm 1.8. That print was 1X1.5 meters. I am sure others can attest to that capability.

Allowed/acceptable circles of confusion are all that matters in really large size prints. The LPM resolution of a film could not possible affect the visible resolution of a print, at any size, to a naked eye, not to mention, the resolution of the paper is the limiting factor here. If one takes a loupe to a mural size print, well, someone else can complete that sentence.
    I love Ilford, but Delta100 is not in the same league as TMY-2 or Acros100, the spectral response of Acros100 and the reciprocity characteristics of both set them in a different league (especially in LF when reciprocity often comes into play) than any other 100 or 400 speed film, I'm not just talking grain, I'm talking the overall package.

Also, as to your ridiculous story of your 35mm mural print made with a plastic lens, you can make a lot of beautiful images with smaller format films and blow them up as big as you want, but they're not going to have the same amount of detail, and I don't care what your customers might have thought about the print because it doesn't matter, the actual definition of the image was not the same as a 4x5 negative of the same size print or an 8x10 of the same size print. And arguing that point that "well my customers thought it was LF" is kind of like saying "at gas stations people who know nothing shoot cars see my Datsun 280ZX and think it's a Ferrari... Doesn't mean my car became a Ferrari or could drive as fast as a Ferrari or handle turns as well as a Ferrari, or sell athe prices a Ferrari would sell at... because... *drum roll*... it may look nice, and be good enough for the average person... but it's not a Ferrari....

Let's stay on track guys, please.

I think it's good that people can get the stuff if they need it.
    I can do just fine with more conventional emulsions and do the math if the reciprocity beast rears its ugly head.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Stone View Post
    What is the track exactly? I'm legitimately asking you, because the only question I saw was (paraphrased) "are manufacturing costs up that much?"

Well, apparently... Yes.

There's nothing else to say man, and you're not even buying it (and it appears that you're getting out of 8x10 by your sales recently but that's just speculation). So why bother asking? It's the kind of thread that has no real point or track except to stir people up and create a platform for an argument. If you were going to buy it, it would be pertinent to you...

"Not exactly a soup question now is it?" (Movie reference quote).

What is the track exactly? I'm legitimately asking you, because the only question I saw was (paraphrased) "are manufacturing costs up that much?"

Well, apparently... Yes.

There's nothing else to say man, and you're not even buying it (and it appears that you're getting out of 8x10 by your sales recently but that's just speculation). So why bother asking? It's the kind of thread that has no real point or track except to stir people up and create a platform for an argument. If you were going to buy it, it would be pertinent to you...

"Not exactly a soup question now is it?" (Movie reference quote).
    I can ask whatever I want, just as you can. My exact reasoning doesn't have to be "justifiable" by everyone to be worth discussing.
    And FYI, I WOULD be shooting Tmax 400 if it were more economical to do so compared to offerings from other mfg's that can get 95% 'there'. Which, in pretty much all cases, is fine for me(and seemingly a lot of others, which is unfortunate for Kodak to lose longstanding customers).

I can ask whatever I want, just as you can. My exact reasoning doesn't have to be "justifiable" by everyone to be worth discussing.
    And FYI, I WOULD be shooting Tmax 400 if it were more economical to do so compared to offerings from other mfg's that can get 95% 'there'. Which, in pretty much all cases, is fine for me(and seemingly a lot of others, which is unfortunate for Kodak to lose longstanding customers).
    NOW that's a point

But there have been 100 "kodak is pricing themselves out" threads and again gains us all morning. BUT at least it's still an option. Better than no options...

...the spectral response...

What is the track exactly?
    __

'Uh-oh!'...

It looks like one 'Stone'... Is upset with the other 'Stone'.
    _________