Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mods, please reconsider asking for general locations for the profile record

Mods, please reconsider asking for general locations for the profile record

This is an open thread to the moderators to once again ask them to revisit the policy about member locations.

Any and all member comment, whether positive or negative is most welcome.

I don't expect that there will ever be a requirement of membership to post one's city, nor am I sure that something that specific is even a good idea, but for some very valid reasons, it would be quite welcome to have at least a region in place. For example, I'm am in Nixa, Mo. but for general needs, saying Southwest Missouri would be enough.

My two primary reasons are for sales or purchases where one could instantly tell if something large was too far away for a trip to pick up (or if it was in an area that has some highly photogenic sites to make a trip more enjoyable than just a pick up marathon), and for simple contact with other shooters in a certain radius to form localized sub groups for clubs, social events, and group outings to favorite locations. To have that in a way that would be searchable such as Arkansas members or Colorado, etc would be incredible.

Is there any way that the mods could consider this, and if a positive decision is made, do a blanket emailing to each member to make a strong request for them to add at least their region to their profile?

Thanks for the work you do, guys. This has been a great site for me for many years now and is a daily fascination.

Tim
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Re: Mods, please reconsider asking for general locations for the profile record

Heh... in what part of Missouri are you located?

I'm in south TX.

Totally agree Tim.

Ian

My two primary reasons are for sales or purchases where one could instantly tell if something large was to far away for a trip to pick up
    In that case, the poster could state his city in the ad, or a potential buyer could PM the seller.
    Change nothing.

Preston Birdwell

I think Tim makes some good points. While some may be leery for privacy concerns to have their city/town visible, I see nothing inherently wrong with having one's state or region (US) or their country be visible.

The idea that "Location" be searchable would be valuable.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    In that case, the poster could state his city in the ad, or a potential buyer could PM the seller.
    Change nothing.
    On some forums, it's required that the seller indicate in the thread title, the state and sometimes the city in which something is offered for sale. If the seller doesn't do so the thread is closed. However, that process requires more moderator intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Change nothing.
    But many times they do not. Leading everyone else to ask the simple question, multiple times. Is that a better way?

Jac,

It feels like you did not read the entire post as I also commented on the value of being able to contact fellow members within one's own region for social or business reasons well beyond sales. That is the more important reason for having the regional info readily available.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

I always check the info on the location of a poster, this is a very far spread/international crowd. I read many post differently because of the location.

I could do without any info on developers or scanners in the title of images, though.

Michael
    Leipzig, Germany

Location remains a part of the registration form, as it has always been. It is up to each individual to decide whether they wish to be that courteous to other members, however.