Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SEI Photometer - where or how to fix?

Re: SEI Photometer - where or how to fix?

Well I'm seriously disappointed on the Weston news. I had them do mine about 12 years ago and the meter is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by John Layton View Post
    And Will Whitaker...do you remember drawing a picture of a pizza on a napkin, giving this to the waitress, who then presented it to the chef - and this chef then created a very close rendition of your drawing? We also shared notes and ideas about designing and building cameras back in the day? Please disregard this if you're not the same person - but I am curious!
    Busted! The pizza caper rings a bell. Although I do not remember it per se, it sounds like something I'd do. I pride myself in having a good memory, that would have been slightly more than 30 years ago and memories fade. I do remember your 11x14 camera, though! And a visit to your house and hanging out at the Camera Shop of Hanover and Peter Christian's. Sending a PM. Cheers!

This source claims to be currently putting new cells in Weston meters:

http://ian-partridge.com/westonrepair.html

That's good news, Kevin. Wonder of wonders I found I kept a record of my conversation with Quality LightMetric. Here it is:

"NO MORE SELENIUM CELLS FOR WESTON METERS
    On November 12, 2013 I spoke to (presumably) George Milton at Quality Light Metric regarding repairs on my two dropped Weston meters. He told me that there are no more replecement cells for these as the company in England that made them went out of business. He said that since he replaced both of mine in 2007 I should be in good shape as they last 15-20 years. He said something to the effect that these are very good instruments."

Maybe Ian had a bigger supply on hand than George Milton did when production ceased. That someone else has taken on production of these cells may be too much to hope for.

(Luckily for me, my dropping my meters didn't harm the cells).

David

I thought I read somewhere that it was moisture intruding on the edge that killed off the cells. Maybe I'll take one of my 3 and seal the edge with epoxy.