Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small wide angle lens for 5X7

Small wide angle lens for 5X7

What is the lightest and most compact modern lens in the 90mm - 120mm focal length that will cover the 5X7" format with some movements? I am currently using a 120mm f/8 Fujinon SW and its performance and coverage are very acceptable, but the size and weight is a little off-putting when back-packing of packing for travel.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Sandy,

The 110mm Super Symmar XL should be a prime candidate. Right in the middle of your range, and mine will at least illuminate 8x10. Schneider lists it as a 5x7 lens.

Steve

Octogenarian

Hi Sandy,

According to the comparison chart on this website, the Schneider 80 Super Symmar XL and the Nikkor 90SW are two of the lightest weight wide angle lenses that will cover the 5x7 format. Also, take a look at the Osaka line of wide angle lenses that Bromwell handles. I really like the Fujinon f8 105SW for the 5x7 format, but it's no lightweight.

hey sandy...

just to add onto what eugene has told you, there's a great reference table right here on the site with all the information you need.

good luck,
    scott

You might consider a 120 Congo 6.3 it's in a Copal 0 shutter. Not a lot of movement on 5x7 but sure is small and compact.

I have a 90mm f/6.3 Grandagon (vintage about 1982) that covers 5x7 with excellent quality but very little room for movement. The f/4.5 version had a wider image circle and might be a good find on the used market.This length is really quite wide on 5x7.---Carl

You might consider a 4 3/8" (111mm) WA Dagor, at f/45 these give you an IC of about 270mm or so. If in Ilex no. 3 they are a bit heavy, but some of the later models, notably the "gold rim", were mounted in a compur 1. Sharp and light.

My Nikon 90mm F9 works great on 5x7 and I think it is actually a bit sharper than the f4.5 version.

Cheers!

Sandy, I'll second the 110 Symmar XL. As pictures speak louder than words, I'll attach an architectural shot from last week: Canham 5x7, Velvia 100f (cut down), 110XL, 81A & center filter. I use this combo when I need extra-wide, otherwise I shoot 4x5.

Sorry, I guess I don't know how to post this image here.