Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Broken Ground Glass

Re: Broken Ground Glass

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Don't buy from Global Matter; he charges a lot of money for old stock screens that are of dubious quality and build; you'd be better off getting a no-name GG that fits your camera, and refining it further yourself, or asking a friend to do it for you.
    If you order from Hopf, may as well get the best he has, the borosilicate.
    Yep, this was the one I was looking at. I'm going to measure up my screen tonight and send it on.

Since I haven't shot large format before, I'm wondering what the difference is between having more or less grid lines. Steve Hopf can do either 1 inch or half inch I think, but what do people tend to shoot with? The advantage I guess would be for things like horizons?

Quote Originally Posted by MilamBardo View Post
    Yep, this was the one I was looking at. I'm going to measure up my screen tonight and send it on.

Since I haven't shot large format before, I'm wondering what the difference is between having more or less grid lines. Steve Hopf can do either 1 inch or half inch I think, but what do people tend to shoot with? The advantage I guess would be for things like horizons?
    Just had a gentleman here from the UK who has the identical Phillips 7x17 camera with a non Steve Hopf ground glass. He was shocked at how bright my ground glass was compared to his. He returned to Scotland to order a GG from Steve Hopf ASAP. Plus Steve is a very nice man, you won't regret this Borosilicate GG.

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    Just had a gentleman here from the UK who has the identical Phillips 7x17 camera with a non Steve Hopf ground glass. He was shocked at how bright my ground glass was compared to his. He returned to Scotland to order a GG from Steve Hopf ASAP. Plus Steve is a very nice man, you won't regret this Borosilicate GG.
    Ok, that's good to know. I've Facebooked him, so hopefully should be in contact soon. Still cannot believe I cracked the glass in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Artist View Post
    If you can afford it get 2, and store the spare in a film box. If you keep it with you you'll probably never need it.
    +1. Buy two. And get a tripod!

I've done business on more than one occasion with Steve Hopf and highly recommend him. The other supplier I am not familiar with.

Dave Karp

I think Hopf is great. Nice guy and he does great work. I have one of his 5x7 borosilicate GGs on the reducing back for my WP camera. I had him make a one inch grid. That works for me.

I kinda like a grid with 2 lines going up an 2 lines going across breaking things into thirds.

I think I'm just going to go with his 1\2 inch gridding option, since it seems most screens normally come with lots of lines. For myself, I have issues with getting lines straight rather than with the general balance of a scene.

Another question though:

Are all Sinar screens made to a standard size? Mine is an older Norma back...

I'm just wanting to make sure I don't order incorrectly. I can measure my 5x7, but I'm also wanting to get a 4x5, for which I don't have a screen to compare to.

In fact, seeing your replies, maybe 1 inch lines would be better. Possibly less distracting... Damn - analysis paralysis is a bit of a problem with me....

I've really enjoyed having no grid at all, after years of having had grids on all my screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I've really enjoyed having no grid at all, after years of having had grids on all my screens.
    Interesting. What do you tend to find you shoot most, Ari?