Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Broken Ground Glass

  1. #11

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    37

    Re: Broken Ground Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    Don't buy from Global Matter; he charges a lot of money for old stock screens that are of dubious quality and build; you'd be better off getting a no-name GG that fits your camera, and refining it further yourself, or asking a friend to do it for you.
    If you order from Hopf, may as well get the best he has, the borosilicate.
    Yep, this was the one I was looking at. I'm going to measure up my screen tonight and send it on.

    Since I haven't shot large format before, I'm wondering what the difference is between having more or less grid lines. Steve Hopf can do either 1 inch or half inch I think, but what do people tend to shoot with? The advantage I guess would be for things like horizons?

  2. #12
    Steve Sherman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Central Connecticut
    Posts
    606

    Re: Broken Ground Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by MilamBardo View Post
    Yep, this was the one I was looking at. I'm going to measure up my screen tonight and send it on.

    Since I haven't shot large format before, I'm wondering what the difference is between having more or less grid lines. Steve Hopf can do either 1 inch or half inch I think, but what do people tend to shoot with? The advantage I guess would be for things like horizons?
    Just had a gentleman here from the UK who has the identical Phillips 7x17 camera with a non Steve Hopf ground glass. He was shocked at how bright my ground glass was compared to his. He returned to Scotland to order a GG from Steve Hopf ASAP. Plus Steve is a very nice man, you won't regret this Borosilicate GG.


    Real photographs are born wet !

    www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

  3. #13

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    37

    Re: Broken Ground Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    Just had a gentleman here from the UK who has the identical Phillips 7x17 camera with a non Steve Hopf ground glass. He was shocked at how bright my ground glass was compared to his. He returned to Scotland to order a GG from Steve Hopf ASAP. Plus Steve is a very nice man, you won't regret this Borosilicate GG.
    Ok, that's good to know. I've Facebooked him, so hopefully should be in contact soon. Still cannot believe I cracked the glass in the first place...

  4. #14
    Will Whitaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    North Carolina, for now...
    Posts
    1,000

    Re: Broken Ground Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by Liquid Artist View Post
    If you can afford it get 2, and store the spare in a film box. If you keep it with you you'll probably never need it.
    +1. Buy two. And get a tripod!

    I've done business on more than one occasion with Steve Hopf and highly recommend him. The other supplier I am not familiar with.

  5. #15
    Dave Karp
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,824

    Re: Broken Ground Glass

    I think Hopf is great. Nice guy and he does great work. I have one of his 5x7 borosilicate GGs on the reducing back for my WP camera. I had him make a one inch grid. That works for me.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    462

    Re: Broken Ground Glass

    I kinda like a grid with 2 lines going up an 2 lines going across breaking things into thirds.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    37

    Re: Broken Ground Glass

    I think I'm just going to go with his 1\2 inch gridding option, since it seems most screens normally come with lots of lines. For myself, I have issues with getting lines straight rather than with the general balance of a scene.

    Another question though:

    Are all Sinar screens made to a standard size? Mine is an older Norma back...

    I'm just wanting to make sure I don't order incorrectly. I can measure my 5x7, but I'm also wanting to get a 4x5, for which I don't have a screen to compare to.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    37

    Re: Broken Ground Glass

    In fact, seeing your replies, maybe 1 inch lines would be better. Possibly less distracting... Damn - analysis paralysis is a bit of a problem with me....

  9. #19
    Unwitting Thread Killer Ari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    4,968

    Re: Broken Ground Glass

    I've really enjoyed having no grid at all, after years of having had grids on all my screens.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    37

    Re: Broken Ground Glass

    Quote Originally Posted by Ari View Post
    I've really enjoyed having no grid at all, after years of having had grids on all my screens.
    Interesting. What do you tend to find you shoot most, Ari?

Similar Threads

  1. broken ground glass: tape repair while waiting for a new one?
    By E S in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 3-Jun-2011, 03:00
  2. Tachihara 4x5 broken ground glass help!
    By Sam in forum Resources
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 2-Jun-2010, 11:07
  3. Argh, broken ground glass
    By Tim Shawcross in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23-Dec-2006, 14:46
  4. Repair of broken Ground glass and torn bellows
    By Chris Hansen in forum Cameras & Camera Accessories
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 21-Apr-1998, 06:26

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •