Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Blzzard in NYC

Re: Blzzard in NYC

Here in southern NH classes for the kids have already been cancelled. I'll be staying home so I'll have my camera out and about.
    Newly made large format dry plates available! Look:
    https://www.pictoriographica.com

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

When I was working in Virginia and there was a threat of snow, they would run around screaming "We will all be killed! We will all be killed! We will all be killed!"
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

A blizzard is blowing or drifting snow, 35mph and higher winds for a minimum of 3 hours. Too many in media and even broadcast weather fakers don't seem to understand this. Severe winter storms, Blizzard conditions, Blizzard-like conditions, Winter storms... a lot to choose from and too many who don't know what they really are.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    When I was working in Virginia and there was a threat of snow, they would run around screaming "We will all be killed! We will all be killed! We will all be killed!"
    I'm from Virginia and I resemble that remark! The only people I remember who could not drive in the snow were transients from places like Florida and California.

Quote Originally Posted by diversey View Post
    Wow that's an excellent dry plate! Holy wow! How did they get that depth and brightness and speed on a plate? I'm really curious as I thought those were around ASA 10 or less, looks "stop motion" as the horse appears to be stepping forward, though that could be an illusion I still don't see any movement at all. I know it was bright but still... That looks like f/22 or so, at 10 ASA that would be 1/5th of a second or so. Also the contrast is really reduced, so it almost looked pulled... So curious and I'm sure the details are lost to history...

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    A blizzard is blowing or drifting snow, 35mph and higher winds for a minimum of 3 hours. Too many in media and even broadcast weather fakers don't seem to understand this. Severe winter storms, Blizzard conditions, Blizzard-like conditions, Winter storms... a lot to choose from and too many who don't know what they really are.
    It's been that way since noon here in CT... It's a blizzard...

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    True. Though in this case, the forecasters in MA are saying:
    Midnight-6 a.m.
    Blizzard arrives. The storm will begin to peak after midnight. Snowfall rates could range from 2-4″ per hour with very heavy bands rotating northward. Sustained winds between 20-40 mph across all of Eastern Massachusetts with gusts 40-60 mph. Right at the coastline and particularly over Cape Cod and the Islands, wind gusts could exceed 60 mph, reaching near hurricane force (74 mph).

And I'm stuck out here in Iowa with no snow on the ground and none predicted. It was in the 50s today and will be above freezing most of this week. I miss MA and lots of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Meisburger View Post
    I'm from Virginia and I resemble that remark! The only people I remember who could not drive in the snow were transients from places like Florida and California.
    When I moved to the DC area from Cambridge, Massachusetts--I was born in raised in northern Ohio--I was astonished at how dangerous the roads were in DC with just a dusting of snow. People went berzerk, driving way too fast, not comprehending what to do in a slide. Very scary. I learned to stay home even in light snow. When I moved to California I was surprised to discover almost the same phenomena in the SF Bay area but this time when it rained heavily. People didn't seem to comprehend the concept of hydroplaning, drove even faster than normal. Crazy scary. To make matters worse the road engineering our here seems very different from northern Ohio. Roads don't rdain water very well, water pools in the middle of the highway, etc.

I hope New York (and especially Boston) does ok with this one--I suspect there will be more of these events in the future...

--Darin

The storm moved into my part of Maine about midnight. It's now 6 am, and there's no accumulation on my van because the wind is so constant and strong.

Good day to develop 120, and I've got lots. Bread dough is proofing, too. Good coffee, lots of food, radio, Netflix, good wine, a bottle of great beer, Barlow Trail Whisky (yes, that's how the Oregonians spell it), Jay Maisel's great book. So, many choices.

It's going to be a wonderful day.
    Bruce Barlow
    author of "Finely Focused" and "Exercises in Photographic Composition"
    www.brucewbarlow.com