Thread: Rollei Twin reflex/Medium Format

Rollei Twin reflex/Medium Format

I am having trouble finding a replacement lens for my Rollei Twin Lens Reflex/Compur Rapid.
    The name on the taking lens that needs replacement is "Schneider-Kreuznach Xenar 1: 3.5/75".
    Any ideas on finding a replacement would really be appreciated.

Thanks

Paul T

Octogenarian

Paul,

You will probably be more successful finding that replacement lens if you posted this on the Medium Format Digest Forum at www.photo.net. Good luck!

I think you'll be better off chasing down a damaged Rollei with a good lens on eBay. A good lens on an otherwise bad body (a hard find but possible) will not set you back much. Yet you'll have to collimate the new lens to your body which combined might add up to a different Rollei in excellent shape.

You might also have more luck googling the net for Rollei repair shops and contact them directly. I have dealt with Harry Fleenor in CA who is rather expensive, but highly skilled Rollei'pairman, very professional, and I'm sure he would give you a good idea of what you may be looking at.
    Witold
    simplest solutions are usually the most difficult ...

Octogenarian

Witold,

I'm glad to see that you are still out there. What ever happened to that 4x5 wooden folding flatbed camera you were planning on designing and building? A happy, healthy, and prosperous New Year to you and yours.

Eugene,

As always I enjoy reading all of your thoughtful responses, helping just about everyone. As for the flatbed, family affairs have productively kept me away from everything I consider fun and joyful (family is somewhat same, but requires far more exhaustive densitometry to make it that way). I have not forgotten the promises I made then. I am still hoping to deliver the goods, or at least a statement to the contrary. All the best.
    Witold
    simplest solutions are usually the most difficult ...

Hi there,

You will also find that lens on Rolleicord cameras, considerably cheaper on ebay to gut for parts, only problem is that you may like the Rolleicord more than the Rolleiflex and keep both.

Happy holidays.

Paul and Dan know of which they speak. I had a 'cord V, and found the ergonomics of it quite nice. Unfortuately it's Xenar was very soft, which puzzled me until I noticed the spanner wrench marks on the rear cell.

Thanks so much for all the replies. It's been helpful.

paul

Ditto on the dangers of swapping out front elements only, although the original poster did not specifically mention that. The performance of my hybrid (same brand/formula/vintage but "married" front and rear sets) TLR lens was hopeless. I am not even sure that I would replace the lens. I am guessing it woould be more practical to just buy a new body with a good lens. Your mileage may vary but after many years of trying to shave dollars I finally concluded that the time and frustration (especially ruined images) is not worth it. Just buy it if you really need it. Saving a hundred or so dollars but investing untold time and wasted opportunity no longer looks like a bargain to me. Just one opinion from a recovering cheapskate, nothing more.

JK