Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Thread to discuss banning evaluations

Re: Thread to discuss banning evaluations

I'm with Jody. We are talking about brassies here, but what if I want to know the value of a super angulon in a seiko shutter? Or a new Cooke? We can discuss value all we want, but in the end it is determined by the buyer. I don't think we need to ban anything. Just encourage good manners. I know that is old fashioned, but aren't we all?

Quote Originally Posted by Jody_S View Post
    I don't know if such a subject is covered on the main page, but I suggest we need a short essay explaining to non-LFers how to identify, evaluate and sell their lenses for a fair price, and anyone who comes and posts an 'attic' thread could simply be referred to that topic. This would allow many to enjoy their morning coffee to the last drop.
    THIS. (And make it a sticky in the Lenses subforum.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Randy, I'm sure that your heart is pure and your hands are clean but we really don't need more rules here.

It is very easy to tell a person who asks how much something is worth that it all depends on condition, to look at sold items on eBay and to use Google. This message can be delivered politely. Flames aren't needed. Its the flamers who need to be restrained.
    I don't make rules. I discuss them.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I don't make rules. I discuss them.
    +1
    ___

As per the other thread, I too would suggest... That the LFPF prohibit providing 'Evaluations'. (*In order to make the Moderators Jobs *** Easier ***)
    --
    Best regards,

-Tim.

_________

So ... I'll point out three things:

1. One of the reasons this forum is considered better than others is precisely because it has some specific rules, like the "30 day wait" and the "must post an asking price" rules.

2. To adapt from a popular phrase, "Good rules make for a well run forum."

3. Circumstances evolve, and sometimes new rules are called for.

Perhaps this is one of those circumstances.

I have an idea, lets make up more stuff for the moderators to do.
    I'd like to start by changing my username to Frank P

I did not realize there was a problem (a situation that negatively affects the forum and its users -- and that needs a solution found). Are we forced to do evaluations and/or to read them? Sorry...feeling a little sarcastic this afternoon...
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    It is very easy to tell a person who asks how much something is worth that it all depends on condition, to look at sold items on eBay and to use Google. This message can be delivered politely. Flames aren't needed. Its the flamers who need to be restrained.
    As the first half of your comment never happens, and the second happens only after fire and explosions take place, it would be much to everyones benefit to have fire retardants in place to limit instances of fire.

Since the regular community of members has a hard time self regulating, more rules are not a bad thing, and in this case desperately needed.

I enjoy photography as a hobby. That is to say I enjoy taking pictures and printing them but I also enjoy trying new gear or techniques, buying and selling, building, fixing and breaking stuff... To me it's all part of doing what I enjoy. I try to break even but generally lose a bit of money on stuff I sell but I don't worry about it, I get value out of it from using it.

I think it's fine to have the buy and sell stuff mixed in with the forum and I simply ignore what doesn't interest me. The evaluation threads don't bother me at all. This is the most knowledgeable group of people around, where else would you take it?

I like to imagine that if we were all at a camera show, quite a few people would be standing around at a table with old brass lenses and keen to offer their knowledge, opinions or make offers to purchase. I also imagine people wouldn't be nearly as rude to each other. Heck, it might even be an enjoyable and interesting conversation. Why not treat the forum the same way?

koh303, you're not very observant. "Value depends on condition, look at sold items on eBay, use Google" is a fairly common response to questions about how much an item is worth.

I don't know why people blew up at the post that prompted this discussion. Me, I stayed out of it. Not my job to tell people as politely as possible that they're lazy idiots.