Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What flatbed scanner for 4x5/5x7 negatives?

Re: What flatbed scanner for 4x5/5x7 negatives?

Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    Yes, both.
    Thank you. Couldn't find it in some listings I've checked.

V7XX has an OE 2 up 4x5 film carrier. V8XX single 4x5 carrier. V8XX has new LED light vs V700 florescent light source. Cameras are the same.

Both have a center high res area for smaller than 8x10, like 5x7...

Not much different.

But either unit sold has production differences in focus zone, so many try to adjust for that, either DIY or aftermarket. No mask/carrier for 5X7 on either.

Lot's of confusing ideas everywhere.

I like my V700 just fine.
    Tin Can

A V700 / 750 / 800 / 850 is a good place to start for scanning sheet film, and really the only flatbed in production right now that is designed for it out of the box. You can't really get the advertised resolution or DMAX out of the Epson - it's all marketing exaggeration - but it still does a good job. If you get an adjustable-height wet-mount kit from BetterScanning.com, and spend some time adjusting the height of the film holder to achieve optimum focus for your particular scanner, you can get really good results.

Most of the tests out there on the internet (such as this one) have found that the actual upper resolution limit of the Epson is between 2000 to 3000dpi. Probably the lower end of that range with an un-calibrated dry scan, and closer toward the upper end with a wet-mount scan where you've calibrated the height of the film holder for optimal focus of your particular scanner. So, you're not really going to get 6400dpi from the Epson, but still, 2000 DPI on a 4x5 is about a 70-80 megapixel file (depending on how much you crop the borders), which will get you a 24" x 30" print about 300dpi, and a 40" x 50" print at 200dpi. Certainly "good enough" for most purposes.

If you are scanning roll film, 35mm or 120/220, then there are better options than the Epson - i.e. scanners specifically designed for roll film - but that's another thread.

OK, one more question. I've been looking for a replacement for my old Epson 2450 which, unfortunately, is not supported under Win 8, or at least I can't locate a suitable driver. So I've been looking at the Epson V series and found that the V700, 750 and 800 all seem to be in the same price range, no significant reduction in the 700 series vs the 800's. Why is this, is the 800 series so marginal in terms of improvements it has not impact on the pricing of the former models?

Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    OK, one more question. I've been looking for a replacement for my old Epson 2450 which, unfortunately, is not supported under Win 8, or at least I can't locate a suitable driver. So I've been looking at the Epson V series and found that the V700, 750 and 800 all seem to be in the same price range, no significant reduction in the 700 series vs the 800's. Why is this, is the 800 series so marginal in terms of improvements it has not impact on the pricing of the former models?
    Because it is not a big improvement.

VueScan will make nearly any scanner work.
    Tin Can

As I suspected, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    ......VueScan will make nearly any scanner work.
    +1

I don't understand how some many scanners were "obsoleted" post-XP when Hamrick (Vuescan) can handle it.

Les

Let me throw a wrench into all this. Just checked B&H the other day and although they still had V700, the V750 is shown as "discontinued".

Les

Bob -- I replaced my 2450 with a 700, and see little difference in prints up to 16x20. Others may be more critical. Perhaps finding a way to use the 2450 with Windows 8 will be more cost effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    What's an ANR glass holder?
    As others say, anti-newton ring glass.

Neither the glass, nor the holder, has to be exotic, special or expensive: the glass can be from the local store, the holder can be homemade.

For example, I use a piece of anti-glare (not anti-reflection) glass from the hardware store. It's finely etched on one side, which serves my anti-newton needs. I dry mount my film sheets on the etched surface. It eliminates Newton rings. I've never, ever, ever seen one since I started using it.