Thread: 110 XL and LINHOF TECHNIKA IV, max rise available?

110 XL and LINHOF TECHNIKA IV, max rise available?

Hi,
    i'm considering to buy a LINHOF TECHNIKA IV (very cheap and in good condition) to use with a 110 xl.
    I know it can't fit a recessed lens board (copal 1), and i won't be able to close the camera.
    I used to have a Tech V some years ago, that i replace by a technikardan, and now using an Arca F line !
    So please, i don't need advice again the technika, i know most of the limitation due to the box !
    But, for travelling, and to make pictures in windy conditions with a normal lens (150 apo) without extensive movements... it still a good camera !
    ___________________________________________________________________________________

So my questions are (i don't have the camera yet):
    shall i drop the door when using the 110 for vertical shots (as you need to do with 90)
    and how much front rise is possible with the 110 at infinity on a flat lens board with a Technika IV ?

Thanks

i have a tech IV and a 110XL...

shall i drop the door when using the 110 for vertical shots
    this is not necessary.

how much front rise is possible with the 110 at infinity on a flat lens board
    in this department, the camera runs out of rise before the lens runs out of coverage.

how much front rise is possible with the 110 at infinity on a flat lens board
    in this department, the camera runs out of rise before the lens runs out of coverage.

Yes i know, but will i be able to shift the lens to the max without problem (bellow close to the box) ?

Thanks

what you can't do is use much front shift because it knocks against the hinges, which is a pain too because it is a useful movement to turn the camera on it's side and use front shift as back rise.

The 110XL has a cult following, and certainly has a great reputation, but it is overkill for a Tech IV. Why not use an inexpensive 135mm Schneider or Rodenstock, or a 100mm Kodak Wide-Field Ektar? Either would fold up into the camera, give you limited movements suited to the camera, and produce sharp, detailed images as nice as the 110XL. To my thinking, a 90mm Linhof Angulon and a 203 Ektar would make a sweet kit for this camera, and all three lenses could be left on the camera in most cases. And the total value of the entire kit could be around only $1200 USD ($200 per lens, $600 for the camera) or equal to the cost of just the 110XL.

If you want a durable, "beater" camera for travelling, why use such an expensive lenses on it?

If you want a durable, "beater" camera for travelling, why use such an expensive lenses on it?
    i will use my apo sironar S 150, and i will use my 110 as a wide angle ( i have it already).
    90 are too short, and 5,6 have a big back element, while the 110 back element is small !
    135 is just too long to be consider as a wide angle !

To my thinking, a 90mm Linhof Angulon and a 203 Ektar would make a sweet kit for this camera...
    i had a lot of lens, and sometimes i was thinkibg that using old lens for a 4x5 if you don't need much movement is quite a bad idea,
    because 4x5 color film is expensive, process as well, and when you try a mamiya 7 with the M7 very good optics ...

If i shoot 4x5, it's to have a superior quality over a mamiya 7, so no compromisie in therm of lens quality (55 apo grandagon, 72Xl, 110Xl, 150 apo sironar S, and 180 apo symmar) !

I can use this lens with my arca 69, my arca 45, with roll film from 6x6 to 6x12 ... and maybe with my next linhof !
    Large format lens can be use on different camera, so it's worth the investment !