Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Suggest an air conditioner

umop episdn

Suggest an air conditioner

With spring and summer on the horizon, I'd like to ask the folks here in the forum if they could suggest a top-quality window air conditioner that I could use in my darkroom.

I live in Texas and if anyone reading this also lives here or has been through here in the summer months, you'll know that air conditioning is an absolute must. I have a mildly peculiar darkroom layout in that I have a small room with a window right next to my sink where I process film and paper.

I have a small inexpensive 5,000 BTU window air conditioner I already use. It works just fine and keeps the room nice and cool, yet standing right next to it (unavoidable) to do film in my sink while it's running is an assault on the ears as it's a fair bit noisy.

Does anyone know of a brand of window air conditioners in the 5,000 to 6,500 BTU range that runs really, really quiet? I don't mind paying for expensive brands as long as they're quieter than my budget model.

Re: Suggest an air conditioner

Panasonic has some interesting ones.

Gonzo,
    Any AC unit next to your head will be noisy. Think about a portable unit (Home Depot etc.) where you place the unit outside the darkroom and attach the discharge hose through the wall with a light-tight exhaust vent. $250-$300 or there abouts. Alternatively you could install a ductless AC unit where the small compressor is outdoors and just the coil and blower are inside . $1500+ and probably needs professional installation.
    RE: Texas summer - I feel your pain. -Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    Panasonic has some interesting ones.
    Agreed. We had new Panasonic split units installed next year which are silent enough for sound stage use. But a one-piece window unit will be louder, as the compressor there is attached to the window - the worst possible spot. But it should be possible to install a split unit (with the compressor a bit off, bolted to something more rigid than a window) in its place.

The split system Sevo mentions is the same as a ductless system and I was off on the pricing - looks like you can buy a 3/4 ton unit for about $600 (equipment only). -Chris

I have three Frigidaire's from home depot, one of which is in the darkroom. You need to take the front off and black out the styrofoam innards (photoblack paper tape) to keep light out. Very quiet though compared to others I've had. Not sure the model but it was $154 last summer. It's got a remote and is fully programmable.

umop episdn

Appreciate the suggestions everyone. Ductless looks really, really nice, yet it would seem those have to be professionally installed. I was hoping for something I could put in myself.

So all window units are going to be loud and noisy due to the built in compressor then. The compressor on my kitchen refrigerator is nearly silent--does any such thing exist in a window air conditioning unit?

Well, considering the relative volume of a refrigerator and a room and the difference in insulation etc, I think the refrigerator compressor is a lot smaller/lower power than a room air conditioner - to say nothing of the size of the fan

motor in a window unit.

I think a split unit is about as good as it gets as you have more flexibility as to where you place it in the room so it isn't blowing on your face.

While probably more expensive than the suggestions above, the Mitsubishi Mr. Slim is an excellent split system. It is quiet and FAR more durable than any other split system I have used. I have had more than a dozen of them installed in a number of my buildings. One of my clients is deeply regretting the "savings" they thought they would enjoy by going with another cheaper unit.
    Bill McMannis

I guess you didn't take the time to read my post. My units aren't much louder than a box fan.