Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: questions for people who regularly shoot nudes

Re: questions for people who regularly shoot nudes

To John's original question - and to repeat someone earlier in this thread: Yes - I have modelled nude many times - then I got old...

I have taken a nude or two - many many erotic ones.. some highly that.
    is it a sexual experience?

Sometimes it is indeed. Funny enough not if the models are couples... mostly if there's only one model... the first with the energy flowing between the models, and me as wiever.. the second, the energy flows between me and the model, and that can be very erotic. (I'd find it rather strange if it was not). I don't see an issue with it - the model know it - I know it, and neither takes action on it...

I don't but the claim, there's to many other things to think think about, to make the situation erotic... at least, I don't think too much... I photograph...

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Stieglitz would photograph O'Keefe after they had sex since she was already nude! IDK maybe I dreamed this as I can't find it now. There's definitely a funny quote from her saying that she couldn't say no to his posing her or he would get very mad. And that was definitely a singular body of work.

As an aside, I just went to Amazon and was surprised to find these suggested titles "Related to Items You've Viewed."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amazon copy.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	128401

I *did* in fact do a google search earlier in regard to this thread to remind myself of the movie that was made about Jock's having sex with the 14 year old(s) while he was their school counselor but I did not search any of this on Amazon. And there they all are, the David Hamilton's and all the rest....

I didn't realize that Amazon was bringing stuff in from the web like this...fyi

--Darin

Next thing you know the FBI will be knocking on your door wanting to check your computer.

If you use Google, you can bet that everything you do is carried over to other web sites. that's how they make their money. And a good reason not to use Gmail.

I guess most people have limited encounters with unclad others or, conversely, unclad encounters with others. And I guess it's plausible to assume that the nature of those encounters influence subsequent erotic or non-erotic attitudes to the nude. Lingerie catalogues prompt lingerie fetishists, medical nudity invokes another world of fantasy. Sexual encounters seem to cause a lot of people to become inescapably fixated on the nude as personally erotic. If photography is an avenue of personal expression, and I think it is, then people will photograph the nude in accordance with their fantasies, fixations, obsessions, and attitudes. That makes the study of nude photography a rich genre for curious viewers, art scholars, voyeurs, fantasists, amateur psychiatrists, and students of the human condition.

I've had the privilege (handicap?) of unlimited encounters with unclad others. My house was the nearest to a local nude beach and I've met thousands (and thousands) of nude people, old, young, fat, thin, male, female, other, who were nude before I arrived with my camera and were nude after the camera went away. My pictures were always intended (with varying degrees of success) to be respectful celebrations of presence, style, beauty, and grace. And I can't recall one with erotic intent. There must be something about using a large format camera in the open air in a crowd of nude people that douses lust. But I'm not sure the pictures are the better for it.
    Photography:first utterance. Sir John Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society. "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..".

Quote Originally Posted by Darin Boville View Post
    As an aside, I just went to Amazon and was surprised to find these suggested titles "Related to Items You've Viewed."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amazon copy.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	128401

I *did* in fact do a google search earlier in regard to this thread to remind myself of the movie that was made about Jock's having sex with the 14 year old(s) while he was their school counselor but I did not search any of this on Amazon. And there they all are, the David Hamilton's and all the rest....

I didn't realize that Amazon was bringing stuff in from the web like this...fyi

--Darin
    Cooookies!

Gregg:

I would appreciate Greg Miller clearing some space in this stored image folder so that I can PM him.

Flauvius

Quote Originally Posted by Flauvius View Post
    Gregg:

I would appreciate Greg Miller clearing some space in this stored image folder so that I can PM him.

Flauvius
    Sorry about that. Mailbox is cleaned out an PM sent. Thanks for reaching out to me.

New to the forum, and stumbled onto this thread. I always find it fascinating when different people share their views on, and experiences with, photographing the nude. It certainly is a subject where folks have strong feelings.

When I was a broke grad student decades ago I posed for figure drawing classes (not for photography ones) to earn money. Over the last thirty odd years I've had a number of figure studio sessions with my camera. They've all been different, depending on the model and how we interacted with each other. I understand Greg's point about being so focused (pun intended) on the work that the sexual element doesn't play as big of a factor. But I didn't find that always to be the case.

Back when I was single, and working with models who were single, there were times when the sessions eventually evolved into a type of relationship. Other times, not in the slightest. Since I've been married, the option of sessions developing (pun intended) into anything other than images no longer exists. But I always wonder how other photographers and models handle the interactions.

I've known a number of models who shared with me their experiences with a certain model/photographer web site which listed itself as "Where Professional Models Meet Model Photographers" and after hearing their stories, I thought they should list themselves as "Where Aspiring Models Meet Photographers Who Want To F**k Them."

Anyway, my 2¢ worth.

Best,
    -Tim