Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New Darkroom equipment disappearing Buy Now

New Darkroom equipment disappearing Buy Now

It seems people think there is an endless supply of any darkroom equipment, both new and used.

As the 500 watt enlarger bulb thread shows, maybe not.

I try to be proactive and make sure I find what I want for my darkroom now and as long as I live. Who knows? Mom is still kicking at 94. I may go today...or not.

Regardless, I think it is wise to buy what you can now. I bought new paper safes last year from Adorama, they still have them, I just checked and at cheaper than used prices. When I bought mine, they had free shipping on 20X24 paper safe. Not now.
    So many have become spoiled by giveaways, that they expect this to continue. I doubt it. I see CL enlarger prices moving up.

Sandy king's book was a sellout in China. When China wants something, perhaps LF gear, they will get it. What if they love LF film?

I just bought 5X7 film made in Shanghai, from Taiwan. I have not shot it yet.

Somebody's seeing a market.

When the left over Darkroom gear, new LF cameras, new lenses are gone most likely we will never make them again. Yes custom is always available. Takes a winter to get a new custom camera.

Gas is so cheap in USA driving anywhere for something is now feasible.

My point is, if you want it, buy it now.
    Tin Can

Re: New Darkroom equipment disappearing Buy Now

Why would you want to order a custom LF camera when shen hao and chamonix are on the shelve for next to nothing, brand new?

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Why would you want to order a custom LF camera when shen hao and chamonix are on the shelve for next to nothing, brand new?
    Is that a question.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    It seems people think there is an endless supply of any darkroom equipment, both new and used.

As the 500 watt enlarger bulb thread shows, maybe not.

I try to be proactive and make sure I find what I want for my darkroom now and as long as I live. Who knows? Mom is still kicking at 94. I may go today...or not.

Regardless, I think it is wise to buy what you can now. I bought new paper safes last year from Adorama, they still have them, I just checked and at cheaper than used prices. When I bought mine, they had free shipping on 20X24 paper safe. Not now.
    So many have become spoiled by giveaways, that they expect this to continue. I doubt it. I see CL enlarger prices moving up.

Sandy king's book was a sellout in China. When China wants something, perhaps LF gear, they will get it. What if they love LF film?

I just bought 5X7 film made in Shanghai, from Taiwan. I have not shot it yet.

Somebody's seeing a market.

When the left over Darkroom gear, new LF cameras, new lenses are gone most likely we will never make them again. Yes custom is always available. Takes a winter to get a new custom camera.

Gas is so cheap in USA driving anywhere for something is now feasible.

My point is, if you want it, buy it now.
    (RE bold text) That can only be a good thing, perhaps not in the beginning, but certainly in the long-run. Imagine if millions of people drove the demand for these products higher than it's ever been. Imagine the innovative new products arising from such tremendous buying power.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    (RE bold text) That can only be a good thing, perhaps not in the beginning, but certainly in the long-run. Can you imagine if millions of people drove the demand for these products higher than it's ever been. Imagine the innovative new products arrising from such buying power.
    That was my hint...
    Tin Can

Drew Wiley

If nothing weird happens to my health, I figure I've got about twenty years left before arthritis makes some of the trickier color darkroom tasks unrealistic, just
    based on family genetic history. Once I get away from computers my fingers should improve for awhile. If my feet give out in terms of hiking with large cameras, I'll still have quite a reserve of 8x10 negs and chromes to work with - far more than I'll ever have time to print. So I'm packin' in more fancy darkroom gear, and throwin' out some older gear to make room, and meanwhile patching floors cracks with epoxy. Kinda exhausted at this point. Also lining overheads spaces with FRC fire-resistant fiberglass panels, which is miserable stuff to install, but once it's up is very clean and durable; and if I get a fire inspection, it's the kind of thing they like to see. Some colorheads run pretty hot. More toys. But who can refuse free toys?

Good reminder, Randy. I keep an eye out for things like condensers and film holder/carriers for my Focomat IIa because I cracked 'em back when they were in demand and paid through the nose to replace them, and it is more likely than ever that they will become lost as people trash things they don't understand. I know that my favorite (by habituation) Ilford polycontrast LF system will be dust-in-the-wind sooner than I like. OTOH, I erred in piling up Saltzman 8x10 enlarger stuff because I have nowhere to set it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    If nothing weird happens to my health, I figure I've got about twenty years left before arthritis makes some of the trickier color darkroom tasks unrealistic, just based on family genetic history. Once I get away from computers my fingers should improve for awhile.
    Not meaning to be a downer, but don't bet on it. I spent over thirty years at a keyboard and escaped with no damage when I retired. Since retirement arthritis has begun, I've lost a thumb (surgically reattached numb and immobile), lost feeling in two fingers of the same hand, and broke a little finger so badly and is so useless that the doc is considering amputation all the way down the side of the hand. Then I had a back and head injury three years ago from which I am only recovering the ability to walk properly now. (I gotta quit the part-time explosive demolition job. Kidding.)

I wish you a whole lot of better luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    That was my hint...
    I'm sorry if I misunderstood but I read the post again and it still seems the message conveys doom for analog photography. If that's the intended message, it may be correct. However, if millions of people, either Chinese or nationalities, are added to the buying pool I still say innovative new products will emerge. Perhaps these won't be large format lenses or enlargers but maybe there's some hope for those too.

I agree, some things are going to go away from lack of demand. But paper safes are not technically complicated. If demand picks up someone will create a new line of them. I worry more about lenses and shutters. I can't imagine demand picking up enough to restart those industries. So I think we're going to have to accept a limited supply of what has already been produced. Over time I imagine that will drive up prices, and maybe at some point it will be profitable to restart a new line.

I wonder what the return on LF lenses and shutters will be over the next 20 years. Might make sense to invest in those. Some seem to be at rock bottom prices now, but maybe not. I imagine the premium ones will only go higher.