Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I Got an Offer I Could Refuse

Re: I Got an Offer I Could Refuse

Quote Originally Posted by Pawlowski6132 View Post
    He is still going to make his movie and prolly find another picture to use. You have nothing. Are you really better off NOW than you would have been had you let him use your image in his film??
    That's assuming the photo even makes it in the movie. Once when I was involved in a small press magazine, I got a call from a director (well, their assistant, of course, really), asking me to mock up a fictitious prize to give to the fictitious author character in the film. I agreed to do it, I liked the director's work and it was a situation where the possible exposure really would have been something. But it was cut and the character changed to where it wasn't needed. So I went out of my way for them and got bupkis.

I think the "but you'll get credit" or "you'll get exposure" statements are B.S. The likelihood of getting paid work from a credit or the exposure is slim to none. No-one hires a photographer after seeing one photo, especially one used in a movie.

When I get this type of request, I always point out that others are getting paid, and I expect to get paid. If they balk, then they really didn't value to photo that much anyways, which diminishes the value of the usage even more.

If I was an amateur photographer with no photos published, then I might be inclined to give away an image that would be in a movie. But as someone who relies on the income photography generates, I would be sending a very wrong message to my clients if I gave away usage of a photo. The only time I do that is for non-profit organizations whose mission I believe in, and usually also hire me for assignment work on a regular basis.

I think the "but you'll get credit" or "you'll get exposure" statements are B.S. The likelihood of getting paid work from a credit or the exposure is slim to none. No-one hires a photographer after seeing one photo, especially one used in a movie.
    You have nailed it. This is by far the best answer with an 'attitude to survive' in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by toyotadesigner View Post
    You have nailed it. This is by far the best answer with an 'attitude to survive' in this thread.

But the thing is he also mentions if he were an amateur he might be inclined to let them use the image....

At the end of the day and especially in this day and age, someone who needs an image asking for free use of it will never ever do anything more than simply take advantage of a pre-digital notion that exposure all on its own is actually worth something. And that is what a fair number amateurs almost never seem to get now, unless you got paid, trade of some kind....buddy, you got *Nothing*.

Hm, I just imagine I would walk into the next door bakery and tell them to give me some buns for free, because I want to include them in my images. Or the situation where I walk into the next Mercedes Benz showroom and ask for a 560 AMG for free because I intend to include that car into my images.

You all know what the answer will be... Buzz off kid!

For laughs...Attachment 128279

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    But the thing is he also mentions if he were an amateur he might be inclined to let them use the image....

At the end of the day and especially in this day and age, someone who needs an image asking for free use of it will never ever do anything more than simply take advantage of a pre-digital notion that exposure all on its own is actually worth something. And that is what a fair number amateurs almost never seem to get now, unless you got paid, trade of some kind....buddy, you got *Nothing*.
    I guess I should clarify the amateur part of this. I actually don't encourage amateurs to do this. It does hurt professionals who must charge for their services or go out of business. But I can understand how an amateur that has been approached by a movie company who wanted to use their photo could be excited by the idea. Many amateurs fantasize by being discovered out of the blue, and this scenario is similar to that. In their mind the money is less important than the validation and recognition.

We also might consider the value of cooperation and generosity. I grew up on a farm in the 1940s when we helped our neighbors and they helped us. It was the only way we could feed the nation. Then I joined the Navy, and for the next 20 years it was again, "One for all, and all for one". While I sell some photos, much of my photography is pro bono work for the local school and others. While some people complain that the government doesn't provide enough support for schools, others pitch in and help. Professional sports is big business: small school sports is a collaborative effort by many. "From each according to their ability; to each according to their need," worked well until governments started dictating who had the means and who had the need. Forums like this would collapse if everyone who provided useful information demanded payment.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    I guess I should clarify the amateur part of this. I actually don't encourage amateurs to do this. It does hurt professionals who must charge for their services or go out of business. But I can understand how an amateur that has been approached by a movie company who wanted to use their photo could be excited by the idea. Many amateurs fantasize by being discovered out of the blue, and this scenario is similar to that. In their mind the money is less important than the validation and recognition.
    I figured that is what you meant. It's just the fantasy part that makes me laugh, in 99% of cases where someone wants a free photo said exposure is pretty much worthless and yet most enthusiasts turn a blind eye to it.

There are no doubt cases that donations are entirely and respectfully appropriate and result in genuinely admirable outcomes. But the vast majority of the time the results are in line with the cartoon I posted above....folks are not only dreaming but are looking tragically out of place in being *that* desperate to find purpose in life for their photographs that harken to a day long gone in which exposure alone made a freebie a sure bet.

Some of the posts on the first two pages practically ( especially #18 ) reek of disdain for professionals by those who know darn well they don't stand a snow ball's chance in a oven in ever selling a photo. It's nasty ignorance, like some kind of "why should you get paid when so much is had for free?"

I generally stay out of these topics for most of these reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by Kodachrome25 View Post
    I figured that is what you meant. It's just the fantasy part that makes me laugh, in 99% of cases where someone wants a free photo said exposure is pretty much worthless and yet most enthusiasts turn a blind eye to it.

There are no doubt cases that donations are entirely and respectfully appropriate and result in genuinely admirable outcomes. But the vast majority of the time the results are in line with the cartoon I posted above....folks are not only dreaming but are looking tragically out of place in being *that* desperate to find purpose in life for their photographs that harken to a day long gone in which exposure alone made a freebie a sure bet.

Some of the posts on the first two pages practically ( especially #18 ) reek of disdain for professionals by those who know darn well they don't stand a snow ball's chance in a oven in ever selling a photo. It's nasty ignorance, like some kind of "why should you get paid when so much is had for free?"

I generally stay out of these topics for most of these reasons...
    Agreed.