Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Got an Offer I Could Refuse

I Got an Offer I Could Refuse

I received an email yesterday from a filmmaker who is making a short film about the ins and outs of appraising art for various purposes for a client who is an art appraiser and consultant. He wanted permission to use one of my photos in the film and was generous enough to offer me credit for it. He assured me that the film was not for commercial gain—how is that possible? I replied that if he was willing to pay me, which I don't think he is, let's talk. If not, I suggested that he speak with his client who also does consulting work with photographers, and I think would be the first one to agree with me that photographers should be paid. I'm pretty sure he is being paid also....

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Re: I Got an Offer I Could Refuse

This video from Harlan Ellison, entitled "Pay the Writer", crossed my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

Perfect—What a great rant!

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    This video from Harlan Ellison, entitled "Pay the Writer", crossed my mind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

Uh-oh. Now you have to pay Harlan since you posted a link to his video.

Quote Originally Posted by Will S View Post
    That's not Harlan's video, it was done by a guy named Nicholas Horton. Perhaps Nicholas crossed Harlan's palm with silver to get the rights to distribute it, I don't know.

Les

Richard, just to underline your position, you may want to send Harlan's video. I see this bs on CL every day....and people get bit irate when you remind them that they are being paid. Hello ? Working for a film credit
    is fine for students. Indeed, too much abuse out there....

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wasserman View Post
    I received an email yesterday from a filmmaker who is making a short film about the ins and outs of appraising art for various purposes for a client who is an art appraiser and consultant. He wanted permission to use one of my photos in the film and was generous enough to offer me credit for it. He assured me that the film was not for commercial gain—how is that possible? I replied that if he was willing to pay me, which I don't think he is, let's talk. If not, I suggested that he speak with his client who also does consulting work with photographers, and I think would be the first one to agree with me that photographers should be paid. I'm pretty sure he is being paid also....
    I guess you are well known and well paid as Harlan Ellison, and you can just push away that kind of offer.

Thanks to free market capitalism, for most other mere mortals, that is the only way to get a foot in the door (see: internships).

That is not to say anyone, or you should give away your work for nothing, but - its always worth to evaluate the situation. Will you get fame and fortune from such an offer? i doubt it. Will the makers get fame and fortune for getting something from you for free? I doubt it. Will their work be so much better with your photo? Who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Will S View Post
    Harlan Ellison was God to my brother, a writer, and me back when Ellison was just over the hump to be recognized. Hanging out with my brother in his home in Berkeley he called Harlan. He was listed. I was dumfounded as they spoke for over half an hour. I don't think we could do that today.

Aside: In one of his Dangerous Visions anthologies he exceeded his own characterization by writing (paraphrased) "... Barry Weissman's submission about a snot vampire was rejected outright. Now you can call on me for a having a closed mind."

Great story, I've always been a big fan of Harlan Ellison's stories. I think Harlan worked his way up from the bottom, at ten cents a page, if I recall correctly. I don't blame him for standing up for the right to be paid for his work.