Thread: Pre-WWII Linhof Technika Back Won't Revolve...

Pre-WWII Linhof Technika Back Won't Revolve...

I have an early Linhof Technika that probably was sold with an European-style revolving 13x18cm back. The serial number is fuzzy, but looks like 17,334. Someone later evidently added a 5x7 Graflok-type back, but looking at the tool marks, I assume it was NOT done by Linhof. Modern plastic 5x7 holders fit are a good fit, with no light leaks.

And the back is frozen in the "landscape" mode... as it does not have a side-mounted tripod socket like a Crown Graphic, I'm certain it originally revolved. A Photo.net user has a very similar model to mine, and he says his has no lock for his revolving back, and just has four easy-to-move detents to hold the back in four possible positions.

So any ideas on how to make it revolve? What would be the first step for disassembly? If it is indeed GLUED forever in the "landscape" mode, I have a beat-up "parts" Anniversary Speed Graphic, and may try and mount its tripod socket on the side of my Linhof. Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

--Leigh M. in Santa Barbara, Calif.

Re: Pre-WWII Linhof Technika Back Won't Revolve...

PS: A Photo.net member kindly sent me photos of his very similar pre-WWII Technika with a revolving back:

I have the same camera, mine revolves, but I cannot find the way to removes it. My studio Linhof is similar yet different and the back removes easily.

I have appealed here before with same question, perhaps someone can help.

Here is how the 50's and up Linhof work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-750_2063.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	127811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-750_2064.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	127812
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I have the same camera, mine revolves, but I cannot find the way to removes it. My studio Linhof is similar yet different and the back removes easily.

I have appealed here before with same question, perhaps someone can help.

Here is how the 50's and up Linhof work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-750_2063.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	127811Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2-750_2064.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	127812
    I had the same problem with mine. I squirted some WD-40 in the gap & let it dit overnight. More spray the next morning & it revolved. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by 1750Shooter View Post
    I had the same problem with mine. I squirted some WD-40 in the gap & let it dit overnight. More spray the next morning & it revolved. Hope this helps.
    Excellent, and for the rest I add that PB Blaster Penetrating Catalyst is the heavy hitter for breaking loose stuck metal parts. Apply it as you described, let it sit for an hour, then give it a sharp tap with a small hammer, add more, repeat a couple times and it will spin free with no effort.

Quote Originally Posted by 1750Shooter View Post
    Mine all revolve, but how do you remove a pre-war revolving back? I think it must be very inconvenient and require removal of the back swivel pins...

In the 50's they made the easy swap back like in my pics.

Speculation so far. I have not taken my Pre war part as it works perfectly, but i did manage to 'drop' the ball, which is the swivel detent ball. i recovered it from the camera and quit messin...for now.
    Tin Can

From the photos of the pre-war it looks like you revolve the back 45 degrees and unscrew and remove the four retaining tabs. Apparently you have to get it to revolve first.
    James

Hey Leigh

I'm in SB as well

I've owned all kinds of linhof tech's including a prewar 3x4 and a really old one what was the basis for the tech line

anyway..if you want to meet somewhere..I could give it a shot

Mike

Thanks to all for the replies. It appears mine won't revolve, and probably won't easily come apart without using a chisel. I took a very thin knife-blade and was able to slide it into the side of the back for a few inches, but following that groove up to the corners showed me that each corner was held in place with hard black EPOXY.

Evidently whoever added the 5x7 back must have not been concerned with shooting in the vertical position.

Mike, yes, I'll take you up on your offer for meeting somewhere around SB to check out my elderly Technika. Its folding bed locks up fairly well and the bellows and Graflok-type back are light-tight, but the front standard and lensboard are slightly loose. I'd appreciate suggestions on how to tighten them. Thanks for the offer, and I'll send you a PM.

--Leigh M. in Santa Barbara.

Unless the epoxy is formulated for high heat, most store brand epoxies don't like heat, try heating the corners
    where the epoxy is with a hair dryer on high heat that should soften it enough to wiggle in the thin blade
    to loosen the bond.

I use them for sculpting bit when a camera project comes along they are handy at getting into thin gaps
    forth from the bottom of the page Kemper metal scrapers -

http://www.sculpt.com/catalog_98/CLA...l_scrapers.htm