Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new Waterhouse stops for old lenses

new Waterhouse stops for old lenses

Comments about missing stops in another thread prompted me to post this....Much easier if there is an original well-fitting stop for measurements, as was the case with this project.
    I had a set Laser cut several years ago for a lens I sold to Sandy King, and just did these the other day for another forum member.
    Just a new service I'm offering now, prices vary by size and number of stops wanted. NUmbers are Laser engraved and filled with white /silver paint, material is black Delrin plastic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails waterhouse_stop_set_small.jpg  
    Last edited by Tracy Storer; 12-Jan-2015 at 16:27. Reason: details, details.
    Tracy Storer
    Mammoth Camera Company tm
    www.mammothcamera.com

Re: new Waterhouse stops for old lenses

Nice! What material is it?
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Post edited to add that info while you were typing no doubt ! I chose Delrin as it is readily available, tough, solid opaque black throughout, and won't scratch up nice old brassies.
    Tracy Storer
    www.mammothcamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tracy Storer View Post
    Post edited to add that info while you were typing no doubt ! I chose Delrin as it is readily available, tough, solid opaque black throughout, and won't scratch up nice old brassies.
    Tracy,

I still have that old RR lens, and the Waterhouse stops are in great shape. That was a great idea, great idea of material, and well-made.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Tracy, exactly how do we specify what we have? In my case I have one unmarked Waterhouse stop for a Voigtlander Euryscop #7. [...] Eddie Gunks has/had one as well.

Jac

Dave Karp

These are very cool Tracy.

I think the best thing is for anyone interested to email me directly at:tracy (dot) storer (at) gmail (dot) com

Info I'll need to get started on any WH project:
    1. diameter (rough) of lens barrel
    2. number of stops you'll want in your set, whole stops, half-stops, etc.
    These are so I'll know how much material will be needed and how long design and cutting will take.
    3. whether you have a well-fitting stop I can use as a template to speed the design process.

Like I said, easier if I have an existing stop as a template, or can have the lens on hand for measurements, but if not, we can figure it out on a case by case basis. I may be able to design from scans of an existing stop. In the absence of a "template stop", I can cut a test piece from thin cardboard and mail it to confirm fit before cutting a whole set from Delrin, but this extra step may add a bit of expense.
    I shipped the set pictured today, and am looking forward to feedback from the customer.
    Last edited by Tracy Storer; 11-Feb-2022 at 14:35.
    Tracy Storer
    www.mammothcamera.com

Shipped three more sets to forum members on Monday. Two sets to one member, the graphic around the f/ numbers represents the distinctively shaped shade on one of his lenses. (either a Holmes, Booth, and Hayden, or a CC Harrison) Had to distinguish them since the two sets are close in size.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails waterhouse_3_sets_small.jpg  
    Tracy Storer
    www.mammothcamera.com

This is obviously the way to go for anyone requiring replacement or additional stops!

I have made new sets of brass stops, but the cutting out of holes takes far too long and is not without safety concerns.

.... but this Like I said, easier if I have an existing stop as a template, or can have the lens on hand for measurements, but if not, we can figure it out on a case by case basis. I may be able to design from scans of an existing stop. In the absence of a "template stop", I can cut a test piece from thin cardboard and mail it to confirm fit before cutting a whole set extra step may add a bit of expense.

My experience is that the straight sides present no problem - it is the bottom edge curves which are difficult to get right and achieve centralisation of the aperture. If an extra blank stop was provided, slightly over size at the bottom, the new owner could take snippets of the bottom curves (1mm) until the blank fitted perfectly. Then he could use this as a guide for the real stops. I take it deldrin can be cut by scissors?

I have never understood why WHS have the top tabs! They would surely be better at excluding light if they were raised and save matching the top brass curve. Better for right and left-handed people. More place for text (maker/serial no. of lens etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Tribe View Post
    This is obviously the way to go for anyone requiring replacement or additional stops!

I have made new sets of brass stops, but the cutting out of holes takes far too long and is not without safety concerns.
    My experience is that the straight sides present no problem - it is the bottom edge curves which are difficult to get right and achieve centralisation of the aperture. If an extra blank stop was provided, slightly over size at the bottom, the new owner could take snippets of the bottom curves (1mm) until the blank fitted perfectly. Then he could use this as a guide for the real stops. I take it deldrin can be cut by scissors?
    I have never understood why WHS have the top tabs! They would surely be better at excluding light if they were raised and save matching the top brass curve. Better for right and left-handed people. More place for text (maker/serial no. of lens etc).
    Hi Steven
    Delrin is pretty tough stuff, it CAN be cut with scissors, better aviation snips, but guiding the cut will be difficult. So far, I have been using 1/32" thick stock.
    In cases where I am not certain of the fit, I first cut (also via CAD and Laser) a cardboard stop and mail it out to confirm fit. (but your idea is good as well for those that are comfortable with the extra work)
    Top tabs can be made as big or small as the customer likes, sizes, shapes, and Laser etched designs can be customized easily to suit customers needs or whims. : )
    Tracy Storer
    www.mammothcamera.com