Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An 8X10 Soft Focus Christmas. Pinkham Bi-Quality, BnL Tessar, 14X17 Softy, RDArtar

An 8X10 Soft Focus Christmas. Pinkham Bi-Quality, BnL Tessar, 14X17 Softy, RDArtar

Seems the soft focus craze has peaked and some of the lenses are getting a little more affordable. Good news for those of us who use and love them!

I had a New2Me Pinkham Bi-Quality lens that I took north to Reno/Sparks over Christmas. Christmas eve found me in a bit of a different venue for playing with old lenses. I was at the Ferguson showroom in Sparks, where my daughter works, and decided the light and all the shiny surfaces would be fun to waste some film on.

I did 14 shots over a 3 hour + or - period with 4 lenses. The oddball that I started with is an early Universal Anastigmat Wide Angle 14X17 lens. Someone long ago fiddled with the aperture so that it allows f7 or so which was never the design intent. It's wonderfully soft that way.

I also had along a Bausch & Lomb 8X10 Tessar, a rather plebian lens but a surprisingly fine performer. It has the classic 1st generation uncoated anastigmat look. Stand down Heliar's.

Thanks for allowing me to share a bit. Pics are here.

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Fe...ons122414.html

Re: An 8X10 Soft Focus Christmas. Pinkham Bi-Quality, BnL Tessar, 14X17 Softy, RDArt

These are wondeful Jim!
    "Sex is like maths, add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the whoo hoo and hope you don't multiply." - Leather jacket guy

Re: An 8X10 Soft Focus Christmas. Pinkham Bi-Quality, BnL Tessar, 14X17 Softy, RDArt

Jim,

Wonderful dreamy stuff and they have brought smiles into my face.

I have a new-to-me Bi-Quality lens as well. Couldn't resist the temptation of its low price. Its rear element is too long for my shutter box and I have to wait for a adapter box.

Thanks for sharing them!

Quote Originally Posted by ghostcount View Post
    These are wondeful Jim!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo Zhang View Post
    Jim,

Wonderful dreamy stuff and they have brought smiles into my face.

I have a new-to-me Bi-Quality lens as well. Couldn't resist the temptation of its low price. Its rear element is too long for my shutter box and I have to wait for a adapter box.

Thanks for sharing them!
    Thanks both! Yeah, I had to cobble a spacer together so the lens will hang out front of the Packard. It ain't pretty. In fact if some druggie breaks into the car, it's so ugly that's the lens he'd leave behind ;~'))

Thanks Jim!

A great way to study!
    Tin Can

Beautiful pictures, Mr. Galli
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Beautiful and interesting! A curious but perfect mix of lenses, and a thoughtful, knowledgable eye...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

(Shrek)

That 8x10 B&L Tessar does seem to be a keeper. I'm not just saying that because I picked one up just before Christmas and have yet to try it, it has a beautiful look judging from your image.

Your work makes we want to get out and shoot some LF this weekend. Thanks!

Dave Karp

Nice Jim. I really like that B&L!