Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble getting started photographing buildings

Having trouble getting started photographing buildings

I've just started using my LF camera and I'm having trouble photographing architecture. First, I have trouble figuring out how to position the camera to get the composition that I want. For example, I always want to have the same amount of space on either side of the building. I end up constantly playing around with tripod height and orientation and having to relevel everything over and over again. I'm wondering if there's an easier way to do this.

Second, I have trouble focussing the camera. How do you know if the lens plane is orthogonal to the facade of the building? Is it correct the I should only be using swing and no tilt once I've leveled the camera. In one example, there was a plate with some text for a historic building and I was having trouble getting both that and the center of the subject in focus while not disrupting the composition too much (the space on either side if the building).

In the end, I just stopped down to f22 and hoped that one side won't be too soft. Sorry, if this is a bit of a ramble, but it just seems like I'm constantly adjusting different things and keep throwing the composition out of whack. I can't seem to get exactly the image I envision.

Thanks for your help.

Re: Having trouble getting started photographing buildings

For my basic methods to shoot a building I level the front and rear standards and use rise most often. it is typical to move the tripod around, raise the tripod etc. until you are happy with the composition. Often there are things in the way that you want to avoid having in the composition - such as: lighting poles, trees, wires, things in the background, broken things (I once hid a broken light fixture on a frat building I was shooting so I hid it behind a tree truck in the image). I have always had to re-level everything when the camera is moved - I suppose if your tripod had levels built in you could come close when resetting s new location but checking the level just takes such little time. One of my teachers taught me to cut down a bullet pocket level to about 4 or 5 inches - this method is much quicker. The rule of thumb for focusing is focus in 1/3 and then stop down until the foreground and background are in focus. This can be tricky to see - a point source flashlight pointing toward the camera can help (located in the scene as you stop down and look at the ground glass). Most architectural images are 3-point perspectives - where the front and rear movements are used to make the vertical lines not converge but be vertical becoming a 2- point perspective. (this is changed often to make exaggerated converging lines for impact). There are scales that you can buy that give you the depth-of-field for different lenses for different f-stops. If the building was built level and the rear standard of your camera is level then the image should be orthogonal. If the front standard is level also then the building should all be in focus. Then if you stop down until the foreground and background are in focus (if that is your vision) - then you should achieve what you are after.

That's a lot questions, and they make it clear you're ambitious to build a solid understanding of LF camera technique. Understanding how various camera movements affect each other, and learning how to manage them so they don't throw each other "out of whack," as you say, is certainly an important part of the game.

Have you tried to reinforce your field experiences with some good reading?

Any of the following oft-recommended books will help you understand any of the "problems" you've described:

1) The Camera, by Ansel Adams
    2) View Camera Technique, by Leslie Stroebel
    3) Using the View Camera, by Steve Simmons

The first one, The Camera, covers LF movements in splendid fashion – its photos, diagrams, and explanatory captions are super helpful. It's a classic for good reason.

Are you near a local library? The titles above are common in most libraries. That way, you can "test-taste" a book before committing to a purchase for your permanent home shelf.

But the more you get out there, the better, and it sounds like that's your plan.

Speaking of architecture, I love Photographing Buildings Inside and Out by Norman McGrath -- but I'd still start with AA's The Camera.

You seem a little overwhelmed, but you're asking very specific questions. That's good. I will try to answer a few.

Quote Originally Posted by nimo956 View Post
    First, I have trouble figuring out how to position the camera to get the composition that I want. For example, I always want to have the same amount of space on either side of the building. I end up constantly playing around with tripod height and orientation and having to relevel everything over and over again. I'm wondering if there's an easier way to do this.
    No. It's called the photographer's dance - one step left, two steps forward, one backward... With practice, this will become more intuitive. When you get to know your equipment, you will find it easier to judge camera position and composition, before you even set up. It takes a while.

Second, I have trouble focussing the camera.
    For architecture photography, you rarely need tilt or swing. It just gets important parts of the image out of focus. Stopping down to the usual LF f-stops is usually sufficient (my experience).

Sorry, if this is a bit of a ramble, but it just seems like I'm constantly adjusting different things and keep throwing the composition out of whack. I can't seem to get exactly the image I envision.
    Try to keep it simple. Set up the camera with every movement set to zero. Find the right spot and height for your camera without worrying about leveling the camera yet. Don't touch the movements, either. When you have found your composition, level the camera, then correct the framing with rise/fall (and shift, if necessary). Use camera movements as little as possible.

There will be images where you need more elaborate movements. You'll know when you get there. Don't overdo it at the beginning.

Best,

Michael

First, I have trouble figuring out how to position the camera to get the composition that I want. For example, I always want to have the same amount of space on either side of the building. I end up constantly playing around with tripod height and orientation and having to relevel everything over and over again. I'm wondering if there's an easier way to do this.
    You could try using a 'window' in a card. If using 4x5, cut a 4x5 rectangle in a piece of card. Affix a piece of string with knots the distance from the card the same as your lenses. So 150mm lens, 150mm knot. Frame your scene with the card and use the knots to decide which lens to use. Once happy, set camera up at that location. There's probably a website with diagrams that would explain better

Stop down way more than 22.

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I was having trouble getting both that and the center of the subject in focus while not disrupting the composition
    Neither front swing or rear standard focusing change the composition or the relationship between objects in your scene. Check out the books mentioned in post #3.

Lots of good advice.
    If you're just starting out, it is confusing but with practice it will get easier.
    You might use the grid on your ground glass if you want continuity in the spacing left and right (or right and left, since it's reversed)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Front rise is often the only movement needed. If the negative is to be scanned and then edited, perspective can be corrected in a photo editor. This permits tilting the camera upwards and using lenses of less coverage. When doing this, a reference photo in correct perspective of at least part of the building helps in precise editing.

For tall building shots: If you have a longer lens or have a bag bellows with a wide angle lens - for lenses with a lot of coverage -you can tilt the camera upward from level, and level the front and rear lens boards to vertical - this will often give you more rise that is built into your camera. I have used this technique for taller exterior building images.