Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: wearing light meter

Re: wearing light meter

The most risky are the Pentax & Soligor Spot meters, in a Zone VI leather holster, worn on a waist belt.
    I've always thought they resembled a holstered weapon.
    Real cameras are measured in inches...
    Not pixels.

www.photocollective.org

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    This may sound paranoid but...

I photograph in urban environments sometimes and, while I usually like to wear my light meter in a holster on my hip, I'm beginning to get concerned with it being perceived as a gun by either a muggle or a police officer. How do you/would you handle this? Just keep moving and deal with it or start keeping my meter off my person?

Then again it may deter some folks from approaching me if they think I'm packing heat. Hmmm.
    Hello Thom,

I've been tempted to get that holster but will not wear it in New York City, as I'm also concerned that it will be mistaken for a gun. I wind up sticking the Pentax spot meter into my jacket or pants pocket, which is kind of a pain. Someone saw me using that meter once and asked if I had gotten any good photographs, I said "Not yet!". At least they didn't run in the other direction. I also have one of those little Pocket Spots that looks like a pager. http://meteredlight.blogspot.com and is no longer made. I should probably use that one more often but I've kind of been saving it for when the TravelWide shows up.

wearing light meter

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Kellogg View Post
    Hello Thom,

I've been tempted to get that holster but will not wear it in New York City, as I'm also concerned that it will be mistaken for a gun. I wind up sticking the Pentax spot meter into my jacket or pants pocket, which is kind of a pain. Someone saw me using that meter once and asked if I had gotten any good photographs, I said "Not yet!". At least they didn't run in the other direction. I also have one of those little Pocket Spots that looks like a pager. http://meteredlight.blogspot.com and is no longer made. I should probably use that one more often but I've kind of been saving it for when the TravelWide shows up.
    I've gotten that question when using my spot meter also.... I also said "not yet" and the guy looked very confused Haha

Drew Wiley

Just take up a photo career in Texas, where everyone has something strapped to their hip. Then get one of those camera bag slings with lots of little loops on it
    for canisters, so you can look like Pancho Villa. ... But don't try that in any inner city around here. Your "darkroom" would be full of light leaks awful fast.

How do you carry your camera? Certainly you have a bag or a pack or the like. Just put your meter in there and take it out as needed to meter.

FWIW, I do "urban photography" out of a rolling backpack (which I carry or roll depending on circumstances) and my Pentax spot meter simply lives in its case in the pack along with the camera, lenses, filters, etc. I take it out to meter and, when holding it to my eye, it is hard to mistake for a firearm.

When hiking/doing rural/landscape work, I carry my gear in a combination of lumbar pack and fly-fishing vest. The meter is tethered to the vest and lives in a side pocket on the vest. Still no problems.

I tried the holder once, and that was enough for me. It was awkward, in the way when hiking in brush or narrow canyons and not nearly as easy to get to as one might think.

Best,

Doremus

Drew Wiley

A holster doesn't get along with a pack waistbelt either. I gave up on them a long time ago.