Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 8x10 Field Camera = Compact and Very Light Weight??

Re: 8x10 Field Camera = Compact and Very Light Weight??

Google shows five different threads, not counting this one, on this topic on the first page of search returns from this forum alone.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=ligh...67.Jw7kmFjq6sI

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    ...if you shoot horizontal most of the time.
    Only the Explorer models are horizontal-only. The original Compact has a reversing back and weighs less than 8 pounds, the Compact II's vary with batch but are around 8 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Only the Explorer models are horizontal-only. The original Compact has a reversing back and weighs less than 8 pounds, the Compact II's vary with batch but are around 8 pounds.
    Thank you for the correction.

8x10 Field Camera = Compact and Very Light Weight??

Only way to go for super light weight is Ritter 8x10 at 6.4lbs! It's so light you can use a super light tripod and head. Total weight is easily below 25lbs with a lens or two. http://www.lg4mat.net/LFcamera.html

I use an 8x10 camera that weighs 4 lbs. 6 oz. without the lens installed. http://piercevaubel.com/cam/anthony/amchampl.htm

I had to modify the back so that it could accept standard size 8x10 holders. I have never desired an 8x10 that weighed more, or had more functionality.

As far as being compact. 4" x 11.5" x 13" when folded up.

Just over 9 pounds for a metal or wood canham, but they don't fold up as nice as a crown. I think the Deardorffs fold up pretty self contained like the crown even though they are not super light. If it came down to a couple pounds versus thousands of dollars, I'd go exercise and lose it from my belly not my camera.

+1 on the Wehman. They are reasonably priced also. Just harder to find now that they are out of production. They are compact and pack well. If you have a small, flat lens then you can pack the camera with the lens on. However, not many lenses fit that description.

Peter: Both those cameras (Ebony and ShenHao) are beautiful. And they do duplicate the Crown in that they have no back movements. I would be miss back movements, but it does add greatly to their rigidity and reduces weight at the same time. Both do not have a great deal of bellows draw (400 and 450mm respectively)...again, reduces weight not only in material, but you'll leave your 19" RD Artar, in the heavy brass, at home, but the 14" RDA could stay in the pack.

Neither do not fold up into a protective box, but I thought a padded case (made of the closed-cell foam from backpacking sleeping pads and a waterproof stuff sack) that slipped over the top of the camera would be perfect -- it could be left on if the camera is on the pod while hiking.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

Great ideas here. I do appreciate all your feedback and the links. I have certainly got a lot to study.

To be honest that old Anthony Champion certainly looks like the type of thing I was seeing in my minds eye.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Just over 9 pounds for a metal or wood canham, but they don't fold up as nice as a crown. I think the Deardorffs fold up pretty self contained like the crown even though they are not super light. If it came down to a couple pounds versus thousands of dollars, I'd go exercise and lose it from my belly not my camera.
    I am sorry if I gave the impression that I don't carry the Deardorff or that it doesn't pack up very compact. I do carry it and it is quite compact when folded up. But, like you said, it ain't light. Mine weighs in at slightly over 12 pounds without the lens so it is just a tad heavier than my Crown. I do like the camera and appreciate its solid design and build.

My journey here is to find the lightest possible option that still meets my needs. The Deardorff comes with many wonderful features and is a beautiful camera. But the great majority of those features are wasted for me when I am in the field. As a result it just doesn't come along as often as some of my lighter cameras do. But I do like the 8x10 negative and would love to have something light enough that I don't feel the need to visit the gym for a week before going on a hike with my camera.

As for my belly, I don't recall asking for advice regarding what to do with it. I am sorry that my own physical preferences are not to your liking. However, I appreciate the fact that you are trying to help me out in your own unique way. Thank you.

Thank you everyone for your help.
    The Viewfinder is the Soul of the Camera

If you don't believe it, look into an 8x10 viewfinder!

Dan