Thread: Mounted lens case options?

Mounted lens case options?

I have a super angulon which I need to store off camera as my crown graphic can not be folded with it mounted.

I have seen some pricey though purpose built cases for mounted lenses but I am looking for alternatives. Right now I am carrying it in a very padded compartment in my bag but I would like something where it would be protected even outside of the bag somewhat.

I have seen some people use padded lunch bags but they don't seem to be very padded at all.

Can I hear or see some of your setups for carrying mounted lenses/lens/lensi?

Dave Karp

Re: Mounted lens case options?

I have a couple of the that I use. Watch for a sale. They were $9.99 each. My 90mm Nikkor fits easily. Larger lenses will fit. Crown Graphic board will fit fine. http://www.backcountry.com/fishpond-...id|56125866517

I use the photobackpacker cases to carry lenses. But I store the extras in a fly fishing reel case (http://www.amazon.com/Allen-Company-...=fly+reel+case)

Mine are all on Technika boards.

That's a good solution, looks purpose made even. I don't have a sizeable lens collection yet so I'm looking for something for this individual lens but that might be a good investment for the long run.

PBP does make individual cases. On the multi-lens case and you don't have that many lenses you can put other stuff you need in the empty slot. Nothing sacred about an empty slot in a lens case .
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Dave Karp

I have two Photobackpacker 4 lens cases. One holds lenses, the other holds my loupe, spotmeter, filters, lens hoods, etc. I was going to pick up a couple of single lens cases from Bruce, but I was short on cash. I stumbled across the Fishpond cases and picked them up because at the sale price they were a very good deal. I would not hesitate to use the Photobackpacker cases.

Les

Just bought an ammo case at Cabelas, but it looks like Pelican case...and it's waterproof + lifetime warranty. It's small enough to take care all of my filters + access, and likely hold 2-3 lenses. It ended up costing as much as the non-rip nylon type.
    The case is filled with foam so you can tweak it as you wish. It might be little bit bigger than you need. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/searc...ab11&x=12&y=3&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Les

I have used (seriously) "ACID" brand cigar boxes packed with layers of closed cell foam from milatery surplus sleeping pads to stoer, transport and ship mounted lenses.

These cigar boxes are stoutly built; ~1/4" thick mahogany, finger joints. All marking is with gummed lables. They can be removed and the wood finishes up nice. I get them from cigar stores for Zeor to $5. Look on e-Bay as well.

The sleeping pads can be found for a few dollars at surplus stores and e-bay as well. I cut up the pad fit the box and cut a circle to fit the lens/shutter. Stack the squats to support the lens board with another stack to pad the top side. I went quick-n-dirty with a hot glue gun to hold the layers together, but I am sure that there is a more esthetic way to do this.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    I have used (seriously) "ACID" brand cigar boxes packed with layers of closed cell foam from milatery surplus sleeping pads to stoer, transport and ship mounted lenses.

These cigar boxes are stoutly built; ~1/4" thick mahogany, finger joints. All marking is with gummed lables. They can be removed and the wood finishes up nice. I get them from cigar stores for Zeor to $5. Look on e-Bay as well.

The sleeping pads can be found for a few dollars at surplus stores and e-bay as well. I cut up the pad fit the box and cut a circle to fit the lens/shutter. Stack the squats to support the lens board with another stack to pad the top side. I went quick-n-dirty with a hot glue gun to hold the layers together, but I am sure that there is a more esthetic way to do this.
    Drew thanks for that awesome suggestion. I think this is something I am very interested in as it provides rigidity to resist crushing force and foam to reduces impact.