Thread: Developer Drum Sources

Developer Drum Sources

Does anyone know of any sources for drums or tubes for developing 11x14 size negatives? I have JOBO and BTZS tubes for smaller sizes, but have not been successful finding anything for larger formats. I recently found a large Ilford Cibachrome drum, but it leaks at the bottom. The largest JOBO paper drum could work, but it has ribs which I believe would cause imprints on the negative.

Developer Drum Sources

If you want to spend the money Jobo makes inserts for thier big film drums. Or I think they did. You can pick up a used 11x14 Jobo print drum for almost nothing 2840. If you don't want to spend the money Jobo would want for a custom drum then test out the 2840. It's only 1 11x14. The ribs in the tank should help fixer get to the back of the negative.

Developer Drum Sources

I develop virtually all of my ULF film in 7X17 and 12X20 size in Beseler and Unicolor drums that have ribs and have not seen any evidence of uneven development caused by the ribs. I have read reports from time to time of development artifacts that were though to be caused by the ribs, but whether or not these reports are true is impossible for me to say. It is possible that the ribs, if very firmly pressed onto the back side of the film, might prevent complete removel of the anti-halation backing so it would be advisable to remove the film from the drum after the stop bath and fix it in a tray. This is common practice when developing smaller sheet film in BTZS type tubes.
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Developer Drum Sources

Hello John.
    I use the largest of the Jobo drums for paper and film. I have not encountered any problem with the ribbing.

The anti halation backing on the film that touches the drum ribs does not seem have any adverse effect on the development.

I pre rinse for about three minutes to get rid of the dye before starting the development of the film.

Developer Drum Sources

John,

I also use unicolor drums and find they work very well for me too. I've got the 8x10, 11x14, and 16x20 sizes.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Developer Drum Sources

I develop and fix all my 4x5 and 8x10 film in 8x10 Unicolor drums. They work very well and as long as the emulsion is on the right side (exposed toward the inside of the rum, not facing the ribs) there is no evidence of uneven development. The film is also nicer, ie, no scratches, and it saves me money in chemicals (drums use very little).

BTW, I never pre-rinse, as the procedure is NOT recommended for the HP5+ sheets I normally use.

Developer Drum Sources

Another vote for the Unicolor paper drum. I do all of my 4X5 and 5X7 in them with no problems.

Developer Drum Sources

I have been using a Patterson 8 reel tank for my 11x14 negs I spin it on a unacolour roller works like a charm and easy
    to load

Developer Drum Sources

Thanks for the replies everyone; very helpful! I did indeed go ahead and develop in my JOBO 2840 drum with the ribs, it worked great. I was surprised; I had assumed incorrectly that there would be uneven development. This has been a great help.