Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: End of Agfa Scala. Alternatives?

End of Agfa Scala. Alternatives?

Now that Agfa has stopped production of their Scala in 4x5 (all other formats + processing will be discontinued in 2006) I am looking for a possible alternative. I am aware of the existence of dr5, but I do not consider it an option to ship my film between Holland and L.A.

Does anyone have actual experience using the current reversal kits from Foma and/or Kodak?
    Does anyone have experience mixing their own chems?
    If so, what are results like compared to Scala? This is the bottomline really. I need similar very good quality, not something inferior. All information is greatly appreciated.

I recently created some B&W slides of prints I made using T-Max 100 in Kodak's T-Max reversal kit. the results with 35mm roll film were excellent. How this would work with 4x5 sheet film I couldn't say, but I did find the process to be pretty straight forward and contollable. Might be worth a try.

There's an article on reversal processing on unblinkingeye.com. It's aimed mainly at alt-printers looking to make one-step enlarged negs, but I'd guess the process can be adjusted for various purposes.

I don't know that dr5 is that mysterious a process. I believe David Wood has said that he developed it from reversal processes used for cine processing in the 1930s. It's just that he's worked out the kinks and perfected it for a wide variety of films. It might be worth looking into seeing if there's some way of making the shipping more affordable before ruling it out.

Dear Jan,

The Jan/Feb 2002 issue of Photo Techniques describes a process for reversing black and white negative film that you may want to investigate.

Neal Wydra

Thanks for the info so far. The T-max set seems like a logical thing to try. I will.
    Nice study material, also found an Ilford manual on reversal processing. Mixing one's own chems actually seems pretty straightforward.
    Did anyone ever compare results obtained by one of these methods head to head with Scala? I am afraid I am going to invest a lot of effort in something that just will not give me the same excellent quality.

Jan

Are you saying the film is going to be outdated as well as the lab processes, If your lab is closing that is one thing, if it is not try some various black and white film in the scala lab. For example I have made black and white dupes using fp4 in a scala lab in Toronto. I have heard scala film is actually APX 100, this may just be a silly rumour but I would not be suprised if you tried APX and your lab was willing that the results were similar to scala film, . I would be interested in the results

Capturing the scene on color film (e.g. Astia if you prefer transparencies) and converting to B&W digitally using something like a Channel Mixer will likely provide you with much more control over the end result than a chemical reversal process.

Guy
    Scenic Wild Photography

The lab is not closing, in fact I have asked them about the possibility of experimenting with other film in the Scala processor. They would like to do that, but the sad fact is that when Agfa pulls the plug on Scala in a year or so they will get rid of the processor. So, no use really to experiment. That's why I have started to look around for other options.
    I know, I can scan slides and convert (I occasionaly do), but the result does not compare to a Scala slide. Apart from that, I use Scala slides as end product too. So, I really am looking for an alternative. I also asked the two 8 and 16 mm movie film reversal labs we have over here if they are in an experimental mood. Not.

"Doing the slides & then digital is a make do thing, not nearly the quality
    of the original with Scala. A print on Ilfochrome directly from Scala
    slides is stunning. Nothing in the realm of pixelography does it justice
    for now."

why not a print on Ilfochrome direct fromthe digital file?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog

When was this announced? So all of the labs around the world are going to stop developing this film in 2006? What is dr5?