Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Subliminal messages in LF

Subliminal messages in LF

Have you ever viewed another person's LF image, detected a symbol or message in it, wondered whether it was "really" there, and if so, whether it was intentional on the photographer's part? What was your reaction? Did you feel manipulated?

Better, have you ever knowingly composed a shot with a symbol or message meant for the viewer? (Show us!)

Or most interesting, maybe you've reviewed one of your own images, and suddenly discovered a "message" you didn't know you were composing at the time of the shot, but finally convinced yourself that you were indeed.

Maybe you composed this message for yourself – subconsciously, of course – or maybe you put it there for particular viewers you knew would eventually see it. Either way, please tell us more!

-----
    Dr. Freud – LF forum paging Dr. Freud – please report to the "Subliminal messages" thread.

Re: Subliminal messages in LF

The female principle.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hitching_Post_001.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	127522
    And a male shot.

Name:	Vetrans_Monument001.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	88.7 KB 
ID:	127523

At one time I had these two images hanging at opposite ends of a hallway.
    Never is always wrong; always is never right.

www.LostManPhoto.com
    www.MarkStahlkePhotography.com

Les

Not sure I want to go into this territory, but I did spotted couple of rubbing trees...and I don't need to get too graphic about it. Amazingly, they do resemble humans. But, this was shot with a P&S so I can't even plop a thumbnail pic.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stahlke View Post
    At one time I had these two images hanging at opposite ends of a hallway.
    I think the vertical presentation is also quite effective.

That is, if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing.

It has perfect aim (physical and psychological), plus there's something so ... inevitable about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Leszek Vogt View Post
    Not sure I want to go into this territory, but I did spotted couple of rubbing trees ... and I don't need to get too graphic about it. Amazingly, they do resemble humans.
    We're both in the Seattle region – was this by chance one of the people you saw? ;^)

Name:	Sierra Redwood.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	127525

I posted this Sierra Redwood a while back in a thread about complex camera movements, and someone pointed out the anthropomorphic nature of this shot. I was struck speechless, for it hadn't occurred to me. Anybody have a giant fig leaf?

Tachi 4x5
    Schneider XL 110mm/5.6
    T-max 100 (in T-max rs)
    Epson 4990/Epson Scan

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post

It has perfect aim (physical and psychological), plus there's something so ... inevitable about it.

We're both in the Seattle region – was this by chance one of the people you saw? ;^)

I posted this Sierra Redwood a while back in a thread about complex camera movements, and someone pointed out the anthropomorphic nature of this shot. I was struck speechless, for it hadn't occurred to me. Anybody have a giant fig leaf?

Tachi 4x5
    Schneider XL 110mm/5.6
    T-max 100 (in T-max rs)
    Epson 4990/Epson Scan
    Kinda similar, but there seem to be more finesse to it....at least the ones that I saw. The trees that I saw were thinner and the access was somewhat restricted due to other trees/bushes nearby. Good catch, tho.

Les

Subliminal and symbolism can be two different things. I wouldn't call most anthropomorphic scenes subliminal. Interesting yes!

Photography is edited reality, creating it's own reality within the frame of the camera's eye. I'll demonstrate an example here. A photographer chooses to photograph a run-down house in a neighborhood, even though all the other houses on each side and in the neighborhood are beautiful. The image the photographer displays shows only the house that is falling apart. The image is titled: "Elm Street, Chicago, Illinois". Such an image leaves the impression that Elm Street in that community is a horrible place.

This sort of thing happens all the time, and I have done it myself. About 20 years ago I was photographing with my Sinar 4x5 F along old Route 66 in Arizona. There was a sign for a tourist trap which displayed the words, "Indian Ruins", bright yellow in color with bold letters. Right behind the sign was a small collection of run down Navajo houses. I framed the shot showing the tourist trap sign advertising Indian Ruins, and including Navajo houses behind it. This is obviously a juxtaposition of two different things which creates a message. Edward Weston did it with the "Hot Coffee" sign he photographed in the hot Mojave Desert back in the 1930s.
    "Photographs don't lie, they just don't tell the truth" - Lawrence Clark Powell

The only photographer I can think of off hand is John Baldessari. For example check out his "Seeing is Believing" work.

Name:	m197601850003.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	81.8 KB 
ID:	127538

Les

This subject remind me of ice cubes, that were used in various drink ads....till people realized the bs trick. And, I agree, that a documentary is not a document....it's a producer/editor or director's slanted view.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post

Tachi 4x5
    Schneider XL 110mm/5.6
    T-max 100 (in T-max rs)
    Epson 4990/Epson Scan
    That tree may also be an ancient Native American Marker tree. Trees don't just grow like that. I went to HS with Dennis Downs who is now the expert on Marker trees and wrote a book on it. Here.
    Tin Can