Thread: Sanderson plate camera, 10x12

Sanderson plate camera, 10x12

I am thinking of making an offer on a Sanderson 10x12 plate camera but I can find out almost nothing about these cameras - history, market value, etc. Can anyone help me out or direct to someone who can? It is a 10x12 field camera that uses glass plates and comes with three plate holders. Were Sanderson and Gandolfi the same thing at some point?

Frederick Sanderson was basically a designer and a photographer. His were the first cameras to provide anything close to the flexibility of movements that we enjoy today. The cameras were first made by Holmes Brothers, who were acquired by Houghton's, who went through a complex series of mergers and name changes.

Although some of Louis Gandolfi's cameras reflect Sanderson's design influence (as do products of many other makers) there was no direct relationship between the two companies.

Don - I got a 5X7 Sanderson field camera off eBay early this year and I was amazed how little online information there is about this make. I posted a question on the Classic Cameras forum:
    http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007inC
    you might find interesting, in particular the book "An Age of Cameras". Sandersons show up on eBay rather often, but usually the 1/4 plate Hand and Stand models. The field versions seem much less common. If you are planning to shoot with the 10X12, you will need to adapt the plate holders to hold sheet film. I imagine the holders for the camera are the special English type that may be difficult/impossible to find in this large size. If you ever need additional ones, you may have to have them made, but this isn't unheard of with ULF. Still, 10X12 should be a great size for contact printing and the Sanderson probably has more movements than most cameras made for this format. As far as value, if it really nice, collectors might pay several hundred dollars. I paid just over $100 for my 5X7 and felt I got a great deal, even though it is missing the lens, gg and a couple of knobs. If the price isn't outrageous for the 10X12, go for it - you will no doubt amaze your friends.

You can always adapt the holders to film by just popping in a sheet of glass and taping a little bit of double sided tape in the center.

CP Goerz