Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Deardroff 8x10 - What to look for and value?

Re: Deardroff 8x10 - What to look for and value?

Chiming in to thank everyone for the additional information and to give everyone an update on the situation.

Based on the information in this exchange, including past sales on this forum, I made the seller a $1000 offer for camera + reducing adapter and $100 for the two holders. Key being that i will need to spend 300 - 500 on bellows and any other suprises that come my way. I told him that I did not need the 4x5 back and the extra lens mounts because they are not useful to me. This is my first offer and I am willing to negotiate a bit but I have no idea if this will immediately end any opportunity for me to negotiate further.

I am still very interested in the Deardorff but I will not be sad if this doesn't happened because it seems that 2K is a good budget for a decent usable camera. I received several PMs for other potential cameras and some of them are very tempting as well. I at least now know what to look for and have pretty much made my mind to pull the trigger in a 8x10 as soon as I find the one that makes the most sense.

Thank you again. Hopefully I'll have some update soon.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Ken Hough has parts as well.
    Indeed he does, though his service practices are not different then Cochran's, still both nice people with less of a developed business sense then most would hope for when dealing with them. And, there are other sources still...

Really, the poor business practices of Barry Cochran don't have very much to do with this camera. There are other sources for Deardorff parts and service.

With that said, there is definitely an appeal to using a camera that is in current production, in regards to parts and service availability.

If the camera is in decent shape to begin with it's unlikely to need parts or service for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Netsoft2k View Post
    [...] i will need to spend 300 - 500 on bellows and any other suprises that come my way.
    Take heart - you probably need not get a new bellows right away. Bellows, in particular the robust Deardorff's , can be DIY patched to be serviceable for years. There are plenty of How To posts here on that, and I'll mention my favorite: the patch liquid once used to restore small sections of those old 'soft' hardtop cars. It is applied over a pinhole from inside the bellows. It dries in a day and remains flexible for a very long time.

I hope you get the camera!

Pali, I went through a similar search for a Deardorff, and decided it just wasn't worth the hassle. Not that you *can't* buy one, service it, and use it, but it's more work than many other brands.

If I was looking for a wooden 8x10 today that is (arguably) in the same spirit as the Deardorff (e.g. mostly wood, big heavy and stable), I'd be looking strongly at a Svedovsky.

There are also more modern designs (less wood, but lighter and arguably more technically capable) from Argentum or Ebony or Ritter or Lotus or Canham or Gandolfi or Chamonix or Shen Hao ... and probably others a swell.

As you can see there are no shortage of modern 8x10 cameras available that will outperform an un-restored 60-year-old Deardorff in just about every way ... except in being a Deardorff ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    As you can see there are no shortage of modern 8x10 cameras available that will outperform an un-restored 60-year-old Deardorff in just about every way ... except in being a Deardorff ;-)
    +1

StoneNYC, I would much rather know as much as possible and then take the risk vs. learning this after buying the camera. I do appreciate you bringing this to my attention but my appetite to tinker with parts is likely higher than most. With what I feel comfortable with, I don't view this as a deal breaker but I do appreciate you bringing this to my attention. My dad is a retired mechanical engineer who still has a CNC mill at his home so worst come to worst, he'll just need to get in on the camera repair work with me

Quote Originally Posted by Netsoft2k View Post
    All, thank you for your support with this - I really appreciate it. I am including a link to the photos that I just received from the seller that I hope will give a better idea of what the fair value of the camera is.
    The camera looks a bit rough for $2000. The bellows will probably need to be replaced, a $465 cost if you get a new one through Ken. His bellows are made by the same lady that used to make them for Deardorff, so it's going to be as close to "NOS" as you're going to get. I have a bellows on my V5 that she made in 1992 that still looks brand new. The wood also looks rather rough, don't know if it's been refinished, but I suspect if it has been it's been quite a while ago. You also can't see the condition of the track & shoes from the photo. The track where the rear focus moves forward. Typically, the last 3" or so see most of the wear on the camera and the shoes can even "eat" into the screws that hold the focusing track in place. There also is no photo of the bottom, so you can't tell if the seams are splits, the most common (and most costly) repair on an old camera after the bellows. I'd pass or offer a good bit less. L

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Take heart - you probably need not get a new bellows right away. Bellows, in particular the robust Deardorff's , can be DIY patched to be serviceable for years. There are plenty of How To posts here on that, and I'll mention my favorite: the patch liquid once used to restore small sections of those old 'soft' hardtop cars. It is applied over a pinhole from inside the bellows. It dries in a day and remains flexible for a very long time.

I hope you get the camera!
    Jac - now I am second guessing my offer. I based it from the previous sold cameras and their condition vs. this one. I hope I didn't offend the seller because I am definitely willing to shake hands for a few more hundreds but I also don't want an impression that I will be able to offer 2K+ for this as my original thought. I am always the one to feel good about a fair deal for all parties - hence the post here to get your suggestions. Thanks again for the information - I hope I get this too.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    Pali, I went through a similar search for a Deardorff, and decided it just wasn't worth the hassle. Not that you *can't* buy one, service it, and use it, but it's more work than many other brands.

If I was looking for a wooden 8x10 today that is (arguably) in the same spirit as the Deardorff (e.g. mostly wood, big heavy and stable), I'd be looking strongly at a Svedovsky.

There are also more modern designs (less wood, but lighter and arguably more technically capable) from Argentum or Ebony or Ritter or Lotus or Canham or Gandolfi or Chamonix or Shen Hao ... and probably others a swell.

Thank you for this - I may have to research into these if this deal doesn't work out. I'll keep everyone updated when I hear something.

You may also want to contact Igor's Camera - his website says he has an 8x10 Deardorff with front swing and accessories.