Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Deardroff 8x10 - What to look for and value?

Deardroff 8x10 - What to look for and value?

I have an opportunity to buy a Deardroff 8x10 that seems to be the version with front swing. I have read up on these cameras and looked for sold sales on ebay to get a general idea but I was not able to find a kit that matches what I am looking at. Basically it has the following all in fair usable condition as far as I can tell from the pictures.

1. 8x10 Camera that seller says is 60 years old and bellows were replaced 10 years ago. Does have the full movements in the front and seller claims everything is in working order.

2. 8x10 Back and 4x5 Back

3. 3 Lens boards in odd sizes and one will holes drilled around the mounting hole. One adapter of some sort that reduces the mounting square size in front.

4. 2 8x10 Holders

No lenses or other accessories. I really don't have a need for the 4x5 reducing back because I love my 4x5 camera.

Would you consider this a good deal if I were to be able to negotiate it around 2K? I would have to make a 2 hour drive for it and I want to make sure I am in the right ballpark before I make the effort.

Thanks,

Pali

Deardroff 8x10 - What to look for and value?

Condition is everything. We cannot see or handle it. You are on your own.

Keep in mind that many people consider the Deardorff a legend without caring about practical utility thus it is likely overpriced.

Compared to other 8x10s it is an overweight, clumsy camera. There are no real zero detents, ergonomics and lockdowns suck. The most satisfying experience is folding it up after a field session because it means you won't likely use it again that day.

Good luck and watch the sales group for my best V8 with lens.

Re: Deardroff 8x10 - What to look for and value?

Thanks Jac for the information. I am waiting the seller to email me more pictures because so far all I have is cell phone pics that are not really good at telling the details. Any chance you can give me an idea on what you would be looking for your V8 with lens - I would much rather get the camera from someone here. My research tells me that it is hard to come by a complete setup like this for under 2k for a folding wood camera and that is why I am still interested in this.

For that price, you can probably easily get a more modern 8 x 10 that has smoother movements and may be lighter weight. I have been using mine now for about 5 years and really like it. However, I really only shoot indoors, and if you are interested in landscape photography, another more modern one might be better. Note that I paid just under $1000 for mine (camera only and no film holders or extra back).

About the only thing I have had a problem with is that for big heavy lenses, the front standard isn't all that sturdy and can be an issue if you plan on using heavy lenses upwards of 25".

Doesn't sound like the 4 x 5 back is anything you would use/need. However, one thing to consider with it is that if you're into portrait type of work with the look of older lenses, the lens choices you have with an 8 x 10 camera are much more than with a 4 x 5. The 4 x 5 back might be of value to you if that is the case.

Couple of things to look at (from what I've heard from others) - make sure there are no cracks in any of the wood, and that the adjustments are tight. If any of those exist, they can be serviced/fixed, but it does cost money.

Have you done a search in the For Sale section of this forum? A few have sold here over the past year or so - you can see what was on offer and the prices. I think around $2K for a camera with no problems and a lens is about the going rate. Note the one you mention doesn't come with a lens, so you could offer less.

Look up Ken Hough's website for the Deardorff Historical Website at:

http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/

Regardless of what other posters may say, there is NOTHING like a Deardorff, and I have 4 of them, and believe me, I can well afford any large format camera I'd like to get and I've had many!

L

Opinions vary.

I happen to think Deardorffs are the best field cameras made. It's an elegant and friendly design. The most important thing to look for is a solid bed without splitting joints. That will cause all sorts of problems in the long run. For 2K I'd want a full return option based on the condition of the bellows. 10 years is nothing with some bellow, too long with others. You're going to spend 300-500 on new bellows if needed.

All, thank you for your support with this - I really appreciate it. I am including a link to the photos that I just received from the seller that I hope will give a better idea of what the fair value of the camera is. I am actually leaning towards waiting a little longer to see if something shows up as a complete kit in the "for sale" section here that may be better for me.

Link to photos of the camera being discussed

Based on the pictures, the bellows look questionable to me. Would you agree with this? How much would a bellows replacement run me for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dozer View Post
    For that price, you can probably easily get a more modern 8 x 10 that has smoother movements and may be lighter weight. I have been using mine now for about 5 years and really like it. However, I really only shoot indoors, and if you are interested in landscape photography, another more modern one might be better. Note that I paid just under $1000 for mine (camera only and no film holders or extra back).

About the only thing I have had a problem with is that for big heavy lenses, the front standard isn't all that sturdy and can be an issue if you plan on using heavy lenses upwards of 25".

Doesn't sound like the 4 x 5 back is anything you would use/need. However, one thing to consider with it is that if you're into portrait type of work with the look of older lenses, the lens choices you have with an 8 x 10 camera are much more than with a 4 x 5. The 4 x 5 back might be of value to you if that is the case.

Couple of things to look at (from what I've heard from others) - make sure there are no cracks in any of the wood, and that the adjustments are tight. If any of those exist, they can be serviced/fixed, but it does cost money.
    Dan, Thank you for this information. It's good to know your thoughts on the ideal use for this camera. Unless things change drastically, I don't see myself shooting portraits on the 8x10 other than for maybe the initial testing with the format. It seems like the more I research and hear from you guys, this may not be the ideal camera for landscape at this price point. I do appreciate the information and will consider them before making a decision on what offer, if any actually at this point, I want to make. If this was a base camera only deal at 1K, I would probably pull the trigger because I don't think I would have a hard time selling it if it didn't work out for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W View Post
    Have you done a search in the For Sale section of this forum? A few have sold here over the past year or so - you can see what was on offer and the prices. I think around $2K for a camera with no problems and a lens is about the going rate. Note the one you mention doesn't come with a lens, so you could offer less.
    Michael, I did look at Ebay for closed sales and I was looking for something that was in decent condition, had front swing movement, and came with 2 backs in fair condition. Most of what I saw was auctions that ended around 1900 with no holders, no lenses, and approx 100 in shipping. If you can see something else, do you mind pointing me to them? I could have just done my search incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Look up Ken Hough's website for the Deardorff Historical Website at:

http://deardorffcameras.0catch.com/

Regardless of what other posters may say, there is NOTHING like a Deardorff, and I have 4 of them, and believe me, I can well afford any large format camera I'd like to get and I've had many!

L
    Luis, this is consistent with what I had heard until today. I had been particularly looking for the Deardroff because of the good things I had heard about them. I have never touched any large format camera other than my Sinar Norma 4x5 so my focus has entirely been based on what I have been able to gather in my limited exposure to large format information on the net.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Quote Originally Posted by karl french View Post
    Opinions vary.

I happen to think Deardorffs are the best field cameras made. It's an elegant and friendly design. The most important thing to look for is a solid bed without splitting joints. That will cause all sorts of problems in the long run. For 2K I'd want a full return option based on the condition of the bellows. 10 years is nothing with some bellow, too long with others. You're going to spend 300-500 on new bellows if needed.
    Karl, good timing with your information because I just posted a link to the photos that show very questionable bellows. You also answered my question on how much the bellows replacement will run me.

Yeah, those bellows don't inspire 100% confidence. But that wear may just be a result of the fact that that user is not racking the front standard out a bit before folding up the camera. I'd want to fire a flash inside the bellows a few times to check for pinholes in the corners. So, figure the 2 holders are worth $100. The 4x5 back you can probably sell for $100. The other boards are not original, but may work fine. The reducer board looks like a nice one. It's a very handy accessory to have. Worth $75-$100 as well.

The wood looks pretty nice. And it's a fairly late camera based on the hardware. (60's-70's). I'd want to see pictures of the bottom of the camera as well. One of the ground glass springs is a bit bent. Probably nothing to worry about. Keep in mind many of these cameras have seen a lot of use. I lucked out and found a very low mileage late (1980) 8x10 Deardorff locally on Craigslist.

It will be a big change from the precision of you Sinar. You have to sort of get comfortable with the "feel" of working with a Deardorff. Every camera is a compromise, but the Deardorff balances them the best in my mind.