Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Annual Upgrade

The Annual Upgrade

Every year I try to upgrade some part of my kit from "cheap but good enough to get by with" to "hey this is pretty slick"
    For example, over the years I've upgraded:
    My light meter from an "iffy" swap meet Adams to a Luna Pro SBC.
    My focusing loupe went from a uiquitous Agfa to a tilting Silvestri
    Assorted cable releases of disreputable ancestry to professional grade Gepes
    A motley collection of worn out gear bags replaced with a pair of Mil-spec surplus coyote tan 5 gallon water can coolers for toting film holders
    A downright bizarre grain focuser to a Bestwell
    Little by little my kit has gotten better, or at least better functioning. I'm thinking this practice has served me well over the years. As I'm contemplating what, if anything to upgrade this year I was wondering if anyone here does the same sort of yearly thing? If so, what bit of your kit are you planning on upgrading?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: The Annual Upgrade

I am about through upgrading.

Tried to upgrade from my 35 year-old girlfriend. The Goddess of Girls asked for an ID. She looked at it and sent me away with, "Hey, old man, yer donor card is past its "Use By" date.

Seriously, I'm a downwardly mobile kinda guy. Selling, not buying.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I am about through upgrading.

Tried to upgrade from my 35 year-old girlfriend. The Goddess of Girls asked for an ID. She looked at it and sent me away with, "Hey, old man, yer donor card is past its "Use By" date.

Seriously, I'm a downwardly mobile kinda guy. Selling, not buying.
    Move on to other women, she is not worth your time. You can do better and men become more distinguished with age, women just get old.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Yesterday someone posted a video from a concert 24 years ago...

Tiny Tim's on stage and as they pan to the audience, you can see me in the audience in the second row with a cute red-head seated by my side.

I think I'll keep her as long as I can.

Only upgrade I'm considering is a 6.5cm Protar... and that's not really an upgrade - it's something completely new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Move on to other women, she is not worth your time. You can do better and men become more distinguished with age, women just get old.
    I was writing in jest. Truth is, when I was young I could not fathom old couples, but now I am one living with one. When we met I was living on thousands of acres of beautiful rolling highland, had long hair and was fit. She was a skinny, red-headed Irish gal. We have been together decades. You can guess that my hair and youth is gone, and her skinniness is yesterday and red hair is really white. We are a genuine thing, and forever. Now I understand.

(We still have our original VW Bug, too.)
    Last edited by Jac@stafford.net; 31-Dec-2014 at 23:22.

Cordless Bungee Jumper Sirius Glass's Avatar

I upgraded to collecting the Jobo print drums, RA-4 chemicals and color paper. I am ready to rock by resuming color printing now that I have the time.
    Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

I was writing in jest. Truth is, when I was young I could not fathom old couples, but now I am one living with one. When we met I was living on thousands of acres of beautiful rolling highland, had long hair and was fit. She was a skinny, red-headed Irish gal. We have been together decades. You can guess that my hair and youth is gone, and her skinniness is yesterday and red hair is really white. We are a genuine thing, and forever. Now I understand.

(We still have our original VW Bug, too.)
    Nice. I guess that's what time gives us, the ability to recognize the genuine thing, the real article. Happy New Year to you and your Irish gal.

Yeah I really can't think of anything I'd really need to add or replace this year--my photo gear is all working and if not high quality (as in the latest and greatest) then certainly good quality. This yearly custom has worked well for me with this and other hobbies as well.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

I was writing in jest. ... She was a skinny, red-headed Irish gal.
    Whew! Glad you were kidding. Do you still have big dogs?

That's one upgrade that almost happened, to a Pyrenees (coincidentally named Molly). That we don't have her is a heartbreak... My brother-in-law was having trouble with her roaming off his ranch. We have experience with escape-artists, so thought we'd be good for her. The dog was as loving as could be. You can't help but wrap your arms around that huge Mac-truck-built head and give her big hugs. She loved that. But she had been abused and her protective nature had been exploited. One evening after we had her for almost a week she attacked our friends - almost as if she'd been taught to "sic". We had to give her back... We get to visit her, because he'll make it work somehow. But it really hurt to have to give her up.

Camera gear kind of comes and goes as needed.

Upgrades seem to be in the darkroom. Maybe this year I'll finally get around to "upgrading" the temporary light switch for the work lights over the sinks to a permanent switch. Maybe I'll finally fabricate the acrylic split grade filter holders for the condenser head (had the acrylic and Rosco filter material for ages ...)

I did just upgrade the darkroom's stereo!